How did you handle getting fired from a job?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rick Lee, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

My boss has only ever had one real job in his life, from which he was fired. He doesn't play well with others, so he started his own business after that and since then has never not been the CEO. He is now filthy rich (unbelievably so), which hasn't done anything to make him play well with others now. But he brags about getting fired and says everyone should get fired from a real job at least once. Any good stories out there?

2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Only one I have is this... Worked for a mean-spirited two-faced big fat woman (easily 200+ pounds) who kept making fun of my roots. I bit my tongue for 3 months and finally told her to pound sand when I had enough. Got fired the next day.

Best thing I ever did. Landed a much better job, higher pay, a much better working atmosphere, etc.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Never been fired, but I have been laid off. I sat around and basically drooled for a couple of months, then changed directions. Happier now in the job I have than at any other time in my life, for about half the $.

4. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I was fired once and that was about 20 years ago. It was a misunderstanding that my boss, the ED of a business unit, refused to let me clear up. I became re-employed the next week but it was still quite a jarring experience.

About five years ago he applied for a job at my organization. It was a job a couple levels down from what I'd normally deal with but I happened to see his name on the list of candidates. I did the interview...most fun I had that year.

Edit: reminds me of that old saying, "Be careful the toes you step on during your way up as they might be attached to the arse you have to kiss on the way down."

5. JMC

JMC Member

I left a company after an acquisition for another job - after several phone and one multi-person in person interview, I took the job.

My new boss told me to read their web site and 'figure out what your job is'. Company of 700 people, I had him and one other person that I knew how to contact. I worked remote from home, could go weeks without hearing from either of them.

Passed 90 day probationary period with no problem. Did as much as I could. After seven months, was put on a performance improvement plan that I knew there was no way I was going to pass. Not that I couldn't do it, I just knew the plan was the process to fire me, which he did.

I gave the company and the manager the review they deserved on Glassdoor.com - and hope to this day that karma catches up to that asshat with great vigor.

6. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I got canned two yrs. ago, but knew it was coming for a long time. I had another job lined up before it happened, got its start date delayed another month, betting I could find an even better one by then, which I did. A few mos. later my former boss was canned too and my former team was dissolved. The other position my boss was offered reported to a guy I was pretty close with and he asked me for my thoughts on my former boss going to work for him. I could have been a real dick there, but I liked my boss and he and I had kept each other out of trouble a few times over the years.

7. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Started my own business. I wish I would have been fired sooner.

8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

This is precisely how my newest job is going. I was told I wouldn't have a pipeline for 3-6 mos. I'm in month 4 and the PIP is coming. I was also told it'd take a month of training before I was ready to hit the phones. I got one day of training, shown my desk and phone and that was it. Every time I ask the boss for help or to approve something, he tells me the customer's request is stupid and I need to tell them what they need. I'm not worried at all though. I've written the job off and will collect the checks and insurance until he fires me or, if the deals start closing, I'll be ok.

9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I was fired for taking an extra day on my honeymoon. This was about 30 years ago and I was delivering pizza for Domino's. What I told them can't be typed here.

10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I was fired from a shite job 1 day short of my 90-day period. I worked for a micro-managing b*tch who basically ran the company (only had 5 employees, it was a small brokerage) and to whom the owner had to answer to (literally, not even exaggerating). I knew my second day on the job that I wasn't going to last but I had a mortgage and a wife and it was the first part of 2010 when things were REALLY bad out there.

The worst part about getting fired from that job was that I was considerably more experienced than what they had me doing. I was doing in one QUARTER by myself what that company did in an entire year and I was relegated to screening phone calls, sending faxes, data entry, etc. They basically needed a copy boy to do the busy work while they moved freight. I wasn't even given my own E-Mail address or even a key to the door - I had to knock on the door and wait for one of them to get off of the phone to come let me in every morning and after every lunchtime.

After I left I got a call from the salesman there and he said I was the fourth person in one calendar year to come and go. My only regret was not telling the spineless owner or the office b*tch what I thought of them as I walked out of the door. Like the guy above me, I too gave them a nice glowing review on Glassdoor.

Fast forward to today and I am in the best position I have ever been in. So at least I have that going for me.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've only been let go once. I was a courier for a company that picked up and dropped off stuff from banks. I traveled from New Hampshire to Maine and back every day in a company car with only 4 stops one way.
    I partied hard with a friend one night, then had to drive my parents to the airport the next morning at like 5am... Long story short I fell asleep at the wheel (and could have easily been killed) but survived without a scratch... amazingly. The car on the other hand was ****ing totaled.

12. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I worked at a radio station. The station manager fired me after I showed up late two days in a row.

13. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

After 8 years of high school teaching I was headhunted to work for an educational company putting music courses into schools. It quickly turned into 9 hours a day of Excel and emails. I nearly died after a month. I sucked, hated the job. They let me go.
    I did landscaping for a few months and then got straight back into teaching English and Humanities (History, Geography, Economics, Politics etc...).
    I love it. Born to be in a classroom with high school kids.

14. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I want details, man. Fess up! :D

15. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Walked out with my head held high and swore I'd piss on the general manager's grave someday.

I went freelance and made three times the money.
    Not sure if he's still alive, but I wouldn't mind still pissing on his grave.
    Maybe the only person I really hate.

16. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I know it was wrong of me but having him try and ingratiate himself to me in the interview was one of the best things ever. I ended the interview with, "You know you have no chance of getting this job, right?" He hung his head and replied in the affirmative.

Yeah, that was small of me...but damn. :D

17. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I got fired from a job in high school. Went out the next day and got another.
    There have been a cour of times when layoffs were obviously coming. I beat them to the punch and found different jobs before the hammer dropped.

18. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

I got fired for quitting once. I gave them a 30 day notice. Seriously.
    When I wrote the letter for the unemployment office as to why I got fired, I was approved for unemployment. ( had witnesses to confirm my story)
    Not too bright.

19. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Got fired once. That was hell. Working as Director of Marketing for a small publishing company. Long story, not worth retelling. I was not without fault, but the firing was unfair, unearned and malicious. It was a low blow, at a time I was not in a great position to cope.

Got another job in that field, but by then was sick of it. And no longer believing that good work and hard work leads to success. A year later I quit and somehow ended up in the IT world. Later still I started consulting and have been independent ever since.

My willingness to leave that absurd oxymoron "job security" started when I got fired. Ultimately, it led to good things, but at the time it was crushing.
    MD

20. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

i burned the place down and took my swingline stapler with me