How did you pick your R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ILikeGuitar, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Just curious how you guys picked your R9.
    Did you order and get it without ever playing it first or did you play a bunch until you knew you had THE one?
    Did you get it new or used?
    Did you swap pickups?
    Do you play it out on gigs and shows or do you keep it at home?
    What do you guys think is THE burst color for an R9 (washed cherry, etc)?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. jpftribe

jpftribe Member

Saw it on the interwebs and bought it, immediately. Top was the most unique I'd ever seen.

Best color, sunrise teaburst is my favorite, lemon drops are stellar and the new faded series has that real vintage look to it.

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I knew I wanted a R9. Real bad...:rotflmaoI basically stalked the Mark's Guitar Loft site until I saw a top that appealed to me and had a tone description that sounded like what I was going for. I called Mark and talked with him in greater detail and finally went for it. Guitar was exactly what I was looking for tone, playing, and looks wise. I've enjoyed this guitar immensely the last 4 years. I hope to grow old with it.

[​IMG]

4. Tom60

Tom60 Senior Member

I didnt - she picked me :))

I never cared for R9s, flames and all .. I went to buy a R7 or R8, which the shop had plenty of, and could pick the right one, so just out of curiousity I tried the R9 they had too.

It was so much better than the rest that I had no option left than to take her with me home :) and I repeat I had absolutely no intention to spend that much more for "flames" !!
    It was a lucky coincidence - and had I not bought her, I´d kick myself for the rest of my life...

So whenever I read "all RI´s , 57,58,59, all the same guitar " I laugh.. Not in my experience..

5. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Saw mine on CL. The price was too good to pass up. I contacted the guy, went and played it and fell in love with it. Officially listed by Gibson as "Stanley burst" after the guitar on the cover of The Beauty of the Burst. It looks a lot like sunset ice tea. Without a doubt my favorite burst color.

[​IMG]

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I tend to be shallow and pick them based on pictures, since I bought them all online.

For me, Brockburst is THE color for a Les Paul.

This one is Scotch Burst. It was good when I got it. It's now great after I did all the mods to it:

[​IMG]

7. patentcad

patentcad Member

Brockburst are nice. You guys are killing me.

Keep them coming.

8. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

I just have a hard time imagining ever getting one without playing it first. Are the neck shapes pretty consistent?

9. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

my criteria:

-used, with some dings and player wear
    -not too flamey--i like the mineral streaks and imperfections
    -trusted seller who spoke highly of the guitar

ended up with a great deal on a great guitar :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I picked up my R9 when I heard they were discontinuing the Brazillion rosewood on the 2003 models ...

went down to my local store and traded a Heritage Golden Eagle for my favorite braz R9 in the store

otherwise I would probably have been happy with an R8 or R7

:banana

11. MCSS1970

MCSS1970 Silver Supporting Member

I waited until Mark (Mark's Guitar Loft) got one in with a desirable neck carve and finish that I wanted. I also liked his description of the tone.

Bingo:

[​IMG]

12. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Aren't all the 59 neck carves the same though? Also did you guys keep the burstbuckers in there?

13. MCSS1970

MCSS1970 Silver Supporting Member

14. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

Got mine off Ebay. When it included Les Pauls sig, I spent some time online to compare the signatures. I then found another (under the control cover) on the back. I contacted the woman I bought it from (her husband had passed) and she had no idea it was there.
    [​IMG]

15. patentcad

patentcad Member

Yep, if I'm buying one off the web, I like Mark's site, tone reports and approach. Great selection too.

16. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

Typically with a celluloid Heavy gauge pick.

17. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I stopped in my local Gibson Dealer on a Friday night on the way home from work - he was loading a trailer with merchandise for his display booth at a Guitar Show that opened the next morning. I asked him if he had any real bargains and he said yes, two '59 Reissue Les Pauls that had been on his wall (behind the counter) for a year - he was blowing them out at the show for a flat price, and a real good one - he told me they were still on the wall and not packed up yet and to go in and take a look and play them - I settled on the one here right then and there - this one is 7lbs, 9 oz. same as my Suhr Strat!. It's a treat to play.
    [​IMG]

18. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

I played at least six before I picked mine out. Actually there was one that I liked the neck on a bit better and was lighter but it had a goof in the top carve that Gibson tried to hide under that aweful VOS crud. On nearly every VOS Historic R8 or R9 I've found sloppy woodwork somewhere on the guitar. Never on any of the Gloss models fyi. Anyhow after a brief flirtation with a new 2010 R9 with the soft V shaped neck I couldn't stand I returned it a few days later for the NOS 2007 R9 below. I cant imagine not having her now that I've finally got the setup dialed in. She's magnificent!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm loving this thread. More please.

20. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Well, here's the one I had for about a week before I decided I wasn't going to get along with the disappearing neck profile. 8lbs and the most wicked top. She sounded awesome and goodness, I wanted to like her!

[​IMG]

But as to another answer to the above question "don't all R9s have the same neck profile?" Man, everyone I ever played was different. Some of the really nice ones made before the attempt to please certain vintage afficionados with slimmer necks with no shoulders were the best feeling out of all the Historics IMO. My current R9s neck isn't very far off the mark from the very best but after awhile, after searching far and wide ya gotta PICK ONE of them!