How diverse we are: what amps have you liked most?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Jan 23, 2006.

What amps work best for you?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Channel switchers, get most OD from channels

22.5%
  2. Mid gain Marshall-ish amp

26.8%
  3. Mid gain Voxy amps

19.7%
  4. Low gain Fenderish-amps

12.7%
  5. Boutique amps

39.4%
  6. Vintage, well-known amps

15.5%
  7. Oddball/cheap amps

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My guess is, answers will be all over the map.

I'll shortly post a second thread about what amps you've liked least.

2. rooster

rooster Member

Can't nail it down to a configuration like that. Just from amp to amp. Personally, I like mine the best.

rooster.

3. Leonc

Wait...you're saying you like your amps more than mine? Why, that's preposterous! :D

4. rooster

rooster Member

I don't think I could knock yours; I saw the McCartney show on ABC, and I believe the picker was playing yours, and he sounded very Beatle-like, as well as many other great sounds. However, when it comes to playing for a $300/night paycheck for the whole band in a beerhall, I think that's where mine come in handy....

rooster.

5. rooster

rooster Member

I think people oughta look at this thread. Have you (the collective "you", encompassing everyone reading this) noticed that the question about what amps people DISLIKE has about 10 times the posts on it? It seems that a lot of people don't really know what they like, yet have confirmed opinions on what they dislike.

Hm.

rooster.

6. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I've SLX-ized a couple of Fuchs ODS 50 heads (one of which belongs to Tomo Fujita) and was very impressed with the results. Pre-mod they sounded OK (although somewhat midrangey and lackluster to my ears), but post-mod they sound really great. Clean sounds are clear and chimey, and overdrive sounds are rich, harmonically complex, and touch-sensitive. These amps are very quiet (due to smart circuit layout and DC heater supply to the preamp) and manage to sound both hi-fi and warm.

7. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

My current ones of course:

65 Amps London
    Lil King by Headstrong

Also:
    Matchless SC-30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat
    Vintage Tweed Bassman-yowza
    Vintage Vibroverb
    Bruno Cowtipper
    Bruno UG 30

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Orange 0R80 or OR120
    Biacrown-era Hiwatt heads
    the right Fender Deluxe or Vibrolux Reverb
    2nd channel of the Rivera M100
    Ampeg Gemini I
    the VHT and THDs I've tried
    a Total-Tone modded Traynor YBA-1...

9. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Ok, the amp that I like having around the most is different from my favorite sounding amp.

I like having my Vibro-King around the most, because it's the perfect package and I love everything about it.
    It's been tweaked, and w/ the matching 2x12 cab and pedals, I can play most any type of music, anywhere. Oh, and it's not too hard to look at, it's an amp that my lady doesn't mind hanging around the living space for weeks on end. :AOK :AOK

My favorite sounding amp of all time was a stock 58 Bassman that I foolishly sold during a moment of insanity / rough financial period :Devil

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

11. Leonc

Damn, just screwed up my own vote. Meant to vote for odd-ball/cheapo amps too. In fact I've been on an oddball/cheapo binge lately. The last 4 amps I've bought have been oddball cheapos (5 if I count my Orange Rockerverb as an oddball), and for the most part, I'm diggin 'em as much or more than anything else I've tried!

I probably could have voted for channel switchers too...the Rockerverb fits in there too I spose, heheh. Interestingly however, I haven't had any other channel switchers that really got it for me. Some of them might, but these days I'm too cheap to buy them, heheh.

Wayne - were the OR120 and 80 that you dug from the mid-70s, with the master volumes and the F.A.C. knobs, or were those earlier Oranges...my knowledge of Orange models/history is somewhat lacking...

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have to say I have gone nuts gigging with my K&M Custom 50-switched from EVM12L to a Scumback 75-8HP and it's been my favorite for a while now-clean to crunchy it's got what I need.I just love the tone of this amp/speaker combination.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yeah - '70s versions w/the FAC, but not master volumes.

Like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DAMNED loud, but really toneful/musical.

I'm interested in hearing the new Orange Rocker head (based mostly on your rec).

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

It's hard not to own up to being a die hard boutiquer when I look at the name plates around my music room. I still love the old classics but I can't resist what I consider to be considerable improvements in quality and tone by many of the boutique builders out there these days. It's a great time in history to be an obsessed tone freak!

15. erksin

erksin Member

I'm in the vintage/low power/cheapie/combo category...

'63 Gibson GA-19RVT
    '65 Ampeg Reverberocket
    '64 6G2 Fender Princeton
    '65 Fender VibroChamp
    '65 Supro S6416T Trojan Tremolo

I'd really like to try a Carmen Ghia, Swart AST, and some sort of 18watt at some point though!

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I've got the 90's remake of the OR120... ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY GREAT AMP.. I run it with only 2 el34's ... It's as nice as anything. When I did sound for some small local concerts for original bands a few years back 1 of the female guitarists had a great sounding Graphic 80 or 120 from the 70's (They did lots of shopping at RockCity Music in Boston) and it was killer. 1 of my favorite guitar-tone bands was HUM and 1 guy used a Hiwatt and the other an ORange... I've loved Oranges since the 70's when I started playing! ERIC

17. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Been playing Z amps for the past few years. Tried Savage, Tophat and Carr as well. My Fuchs Lucky 7 however is by far my favorite. Just a fun amp to play through.

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I went for "low-gain Fenderish" despite that category covering a lot of territory that I don't like. The Fender sound has gone through a lot of changes over the years...