How do bad cover bands draw well regularly?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, Apr 26, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

There are a couple bands around here that just outright suck that out draw some bands around(including mine) on a regular basis and I can't figure them out!

One band in particular is so lame I would think people would rather open a vein in a warm tub than go to their gigs but they consistently draw.

The band I am in is ok. We like most cover bands have strong songs and not so strong songs but damn we are frickin musical phenoms compared to some of these other bands.

Their song selection is terrible, their overall sound is terrible HTF do they do it? If I knew that we'd be packing the house every time.

2. BobK

BobK Member

We send Furio to remind people they better come to our gig or else!

3. hoss33

hoss33 Member

Play some Bon Jovi, AC/DC,...

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

They have a lot of friends, who like to go out and party, and a person up front people can relate to.

I've seen crappy bands flatten amazing bands, due to having a lot of friends, playing the right stuff, and having a charismatic "lead singer."

I've also rarely seen a band that doesn't draw very well from the beginning, develop into a popular act. All of the top bands around here were that way, from the first gigs.

5. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

The secret of success for a cover band isn't really a secret. Play for the girls and the guys will follow. It doesn't work the other way around.

6. hoss33

hoss33 Member

Yup, a hot singer that works the female crowd is key.

7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

This is true for all music not just cover bands.

8. hoss33

hoss33 Member

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

In my experience, the guy on the street hears it different than a musician. Of course, while playing what the listener wants to hear and having good stage presence are very important, its not the whole thing...some bands just catch on for no apparent reason. I gigged, as a weekend warrior, for nearly 50 years and the most successful band I played in was by far technically not the best band I was ever in. We would typically fill the house with every table reserved, practically every night we played. And, when I decided to move on to something "better", it was very frustrating doing what I felt was better in all areas but not as successful as that one not so good band I previously played in. However, it is very important to play what the listener wants to hear and you have to pay close attention to how they react to your songs and what songs they request. I've been in bands with guys who would refuse to play certain, old standard, songs which is a mistake from the get-go if that's what your typical crowd wants to hear. A band can be very tight...but, if they're playing the wrong songs, the band playing the right songs, but not as tight, will typically be perceived by the guy on the street as being "better". And stage presence and working the crowd between songs are usually more important than the music itself. You just have to turn off thinking like a musician and think like the guy on the street (listener). This is my condensed version...I think I could write a book on this topic ;). Good luck!

10. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

My sister, who is not a musician, put it the best way I have ever heard.

"People come out to see you, not to hear you".

11. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

We have always been a popular band, pretty much from day one, over 7 years ago.
    We have a Great singer AND entertainer and a very good drummer.....the rest of us are ok as well i guess:)
    We are very tight, well rehearsed, proffesional and play songs that chicks love dancing to.That being said, there are bands around with monster players, but cant draw flies !!! Go figure.
    TBH, around these parts, if a band is truly horrid. ....they may burn bright for a while (lots of friends) but it wont last.
    OTOH I saw a band last night that i consider a great coverband. ....but many musicians would totally disagree. Singer(being very kind here)is VERY limited in range, pitchy, forgets lyrics etc, but what an entertainer. Guitarist makes lots of mistakes, but WOW, very talented. Lots of clams and Trainwrecks but lots of fun, energy and easy relaxed musicianship.
    Big crowd and they were loving it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  12. Custom50

Custom50 Member

13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Agree, the power of a network of friends, family and co workers can make a band successful. The caveat is your friends have to also be drinkers. Around here if you have connections with the bike riding crew and get their support you can work every weekend. The bike riders stay late , drink hard and go out every weekend. Bringing out a lot of people who sip on cokes does nothing for you.

Out going, charismatic band members will win the day.

I wish I had those skills.

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Play songs people want to hear. Play them competently.

Win.

15. hoss33

hoss33 Member

That's the Stiletto way (above). Fireworks on stage, lots of background singer chicks, too.

16. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Maybe the venues have something to do with it? A lot of places around here have built in crowds so they are packed every Friday or Saturday regardless of who is playing. If you primarily play those venues they will always be crowded.

17. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

It's the same reason why GOOD cover bands draw - people are there for the MUSIC not the bands.

It's also the reason why I only write and play originals. I'd rather stand by my own music than play other people's.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Pretty positive the average person has no idea what the difference between talent and entertainment is. Seems like beats and the ability to play the same songs as played by the radio are key.

19. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

a.k.a. the songs TGPers think are "terrible."

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Be cool. It's tough and impossible to teach/learn. The general population's "cool" is probably your "outright suck".