How do I convince a person to ship their amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarrhinoceros, Feb 22, 2012.

1. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Seriously. I just got wind through a Google search that a RA combo is on sale. The seller says he doesn't want to risk shipping it and having it get damaged. Isn't that what insurance is for! Argh! Any suggestions on how I could be persuasive?

Surprisingly, it looks just like the one they have on sale here in San Diego. Same color tolex! ARRRR!

2. cribcage

cribcage Member

UPS stores will take care of everything for you, including packaging. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with the risk or the hassle, in which case this might be a solution. He can drop-off the amp at a store and they will package it, insure it, and ship it. All he needs to do is pay, and presumably you're already offering to cover that.

I'm sure there are stores that will do this for you with the postal service also, although I've never used one. I have used UPS to ship a guitar as described above, and it worked out great. Usually I prefer the postal service, but there are exceptions where I'll use UPS. This is one.

3. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

He probably doesn't want to bother shipping it. Tell him to take it to a UPS or FedX store and let them pack it. Tell him if it shows up damaged you will handle the problem. It's so funny people want to sell stuff but they bulk when they find out there's work involved.

RRC

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Tell him to drop it off at Fed Ex and you'll pay the shipping and deal with the problems if it is damaged during shipping. If he declines, screw it, let him sell it locally and find yourself another one.

5. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

That's the issue right there- the person who pays for shipping deals with any issues that might arise. That's usually the seller. Some of us just aren't interested in that.

If you have an account or can pre-pay some how, it might be a different matter.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Uh... why not just buy the one in SD? It won't be cheap to have FedEx or UPS package the amp for shipment... the difference in price might not be all that great once you add packaging/shipping costs.

7. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Here's a vote against having a third party do the packing:

I bought a high-end tube power amp mounted in a shock-mount ATA case with wheels on it, total weight probably around 100 lbs. The bozos at the particular UPS Mail Box store put it in a thin-ply cardboard box slightly larger than the amp and sprinkled in some foam peanuts for 'cushioning'. Package was delivered with wheels sticking out of the box and the case lid was smashed. It was a major hassle trying to collect for damages since UPS wasn't the insurer, it was the individual franchise owner. I had to hound the seller and the franchise owner for months before getting reimbursed.

Maybe you're better off waiting for one where the seller is happy to pack and ship.

8. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

It's almost $500 more! That's why! I see a deal and I try to POUNCE ON IT!

Nah, I see what you are saying. It would be nice to save that wad and put it towards something else though!

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've never understood this attitude. I've shipped plenty of amps, including very heavy combos, with no issues. You must have UPS or FedEx pack it themselves, (you should watch them do it), you must insure it, and you must have a buyer who is willing to pay for all that, as it sounds like the OP is. Assuming all that is true, I don't see an issue.

You could offer to sign a release before the fact, to the effect that if the seller has the amp professionally packaged and insured, you agree not to come after him for any damages. Might or might not have any legal standing, but it could give your seller some peace of mind.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1. You don't have to do much research to find cases where the shipping company didn't pack the item correctly. There are several cases right on TGP.

This is adding a layer of difficulty for the seller, but the only way I'd have UPS/Fedex pack an amp is by insisting they follow your instructions (again, this topic has come up MANY times on TGP).

11. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I've been one who doesn't like to ship (combo amps), mostly it's for the hassle. My bad experience was having the local UPS store pack and ship a combo amp (Vox AC15, UK -- crazy expensive) and they did a piss-poor job with the packing. As it has been said before, you HAVE to watch them pack it, otherwise, you can (and maybe, likely, will) get a crap job done.

The cost is getting crazy, but that's a realistic reflection of the true cost of shipping.

12. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Be prepared to pay about half that to the UPS store or wherever. I wouldn't ship that combo either, it's a PITA. Yet another reason to avoid combos.

13. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

I've been on the receiving end of an amp shipped this way and it wasn't pretty. Packed by UPS at one of their franchises. Luckily it wasn't major damage, just the back panel kicked in where the cleat was completely off the cab, and some tubes that were replaceable, but it was such a hassle of their word against the sellers and mine that we could see this wasn't going to get us anything. Frustrating. But also my only bad experience so far (knock wood... oh wait, that is to close to what happened!)

14. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

Just shipped a 1965 AC80/100, Cost about $150.00, buyer paid.
    That included 3k insurance.
    Used a packing/shipping store. The amp arrived undamaged.
    Seems shipping is no big deal. I was very nervous, but it was for nothing..

15. mc2

mc2 Member

I shipped a 1500/40 lb combo 1500 miles. It cost about 80 bucks at the UPS store. I grilled the owner about packing/damage and he said that if he packs it, he would be responsible for any and all damages/loss. I pulled out my phone, video recorded him saying that. I guess if he was that confident I'd be fine. Amp was shipped no issues and i've gone back to the same guy and he knows what I'm doing and what my demands are.

I've got security-he's got a customer.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Offer a little more money.

17. feet

feet Supporting Member

i took an amp chassis from a combo to a ups store to price shipping. they played up the insurance and the fact that they would deal with ups on my behalf if something went wrong (but nothing would go wrong, of course). given the value they insisted on double boxing it. grand total for boxes, packing material, insurance, packing and shipping: $140. or about $80 if i'd sign a waiver about the damages to skip double boxing and such.

i walked right out.

shipping is expensive. shipping things properly, even more so.