How do I cut db's from my core tone?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cragginshred, Dec 10, 2018.

1. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

I want to use my 5150 III 100w Red ch for Solos and rhythms. The clean boosts I've tried are not doing it for me, so what about a db cut pedal which would allow for that monster ch 3 tone at rhythm volume, then off it returns to solo volume?

Suggestions?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Try an eq pedal that will let you adjust output level. Use in the loop.
    That way you can have clean transparent level control or eq to pop the solo.

3. Dale

Dale Member

Volume pedal?

cragginshred likes this.
  4. Badside

Badside Member

Sure, EHX Signal Pad in the FX Loop. On for rhythm, off for leads.

I used to do that, works well.

cragginshred likes this.
  5. Iristone

Iristone Member

I suppose you could insert your clean boost into the effect loop as well.

Iristone

NortheastHick likes this.
  6. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@Badside I've never used an attenuator that did not kill my tone. How is this different? Where is the dial set for the same volume as what is coming out of the amp? Noon?

It is most likely the best option as I've tried the clean boosts and they add too much to an already over the top tone.

7. Badside

Badside Member

This is not the same as a tube amp attenuator that goes between the amp and speaker. This is basically just a master volume knob on a switch. In the loop it shouldn't kill the tone since the loop should have a low enough output impedance.

Set your amp to your volume for solos, turn on the Signal Pad and adjust the level to your desired rhytm volume.

Tone_Terrific and cragginshred like this.
  8. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

Good to know, I have a Mastermind PBC so that is easy to do so I am not pedal dancing!

Thanks!

9. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@Badside have you used one? Many reviews are saying it changes the tone. Many applications are used to clean up the tone too, neither would allow it to work for me.

I need the same monster gain just a few less db's of it.

@Dale I was thinking a Volume pedal would mean more tap dancing, but I could set it lower in the On position and attach it to one of the loops of my Mastermind PBC to be engaged where it's assigned!

10. Badside

Badside Member

I have not used that specific one, I just made one myself. It's literally just a pot, a switch and two jacks (plus a LED and DC jack if you want an indicator)

People using it to clean up before the amp will experience tone loss if there is no buffer before it. Same with a passive volume pedal.

But in an FX loop, you're good to go

It's basically a volume pedal that you set and forget and then just turn on and off.

cragginshred likes this.
  11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Cmatmods Butah..... can be set so that the level is cut when it is on, level will go back up when pedal is off.

12. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

soundchaser59 likes this.
  13. Lance

Lance Member

Too bad you don't have a Mesa Mark with the 5 band graphic eq built right in, for just this purpose. But, you can do a lot more things with it to. The toggle is a 3-way, so it's off/on/auto. The auto setting makes it automatically engage whenever the lead channel is on.

14. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

It's not obvious by looking at it, and I don't think Chad (Cmatmods) explains this before you buy it, but......I was surprised the first time I bought a Butah because it doesn't really boost the signal. I can't explain exactly how it works but when I emailed him about it he explained it this way to me.....that when it is fully on (Level knob full clockwise) it may add some OD character (using the Drive knob) but it is not really boosting the signal, nor is it attenuating the signal. So he said one way to use it is to turn it off first, then set my lead/solo tone, then turn the pedal back on and turn the Level knob back down so the signal is softer. Then leave it on and only turn it off when you want the signal to be louder. Kinda backwards from what we are used to , hard to explain, but it is useful that way, which kinda fits what I thought you were trying to do when I read your post. And they can be had used online for a decent price, compared to some of the other options that may have been mentioned above.

cragginshred likes this.
  16. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

If there is any tone difference when you have a "volume reducer" in the amp's effect loop and have it turned on, it might be that the power tubes aren't getting hit as hard as they were/are when running straight through, there might possibly be an impedance mismatch, and it could also depend on the build quality of the reducer box, itself.

Perhaps you could try a graphic EQ pedal- use the volume control of the pedal to drop the signal level to your desired rhythm volume and slightly notch the mids to make room for the vocals in the mix. And of course, you want the EQ to be true bypass so you aren't influencing the all important lead tone. That's what I would do.

cragginshred and JiveJust like this.