1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I extracate myself from this band?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jackson, Dec 5, 2017.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

In textbook theory, this sounds great..........in real life, it never works. Been there, tried that, don't waste your time. It's not anyone else's responsibility to motivate other band members to step it up, other than themselves.

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

You're right it almost never works. It's more of 'notice' than an expectation of success.

3. Knaggster57

Knaggster57 Member

I didn’t view the the other replies, so I hope mine is not redundant. Just tell them how you feel. If they get upset with you, they’re not really your friends in the first place. If you’re not happy in that situation, no one will really benefit anyway.

4. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I would find 2 good replacements for your "position". Make sure they are capable and available. Next, tell the band what you shared here and as a bonus offer to play all the gigs until the new guy is ready for prime time(not to exceed 3 months).
    There: you gave em a problem, but you fixed it too..and you are paying a penance for backing out. Fair to all, in my book.

5. JoePass

JoePass Member

Sleep with everyone's wife/girlfriend.
    Got me outta a band once. ;)

6. dconeill

dconeill Member

You set impossible conditions. You agreed to participate if a certain thing happened, that thing happened, and now you want to back out. There's no way I can see that you can back out while preserving friendships. You are betraying your promise.

On the other hand, you could remain and develop a bad attitude because you don't want to participate, eventually creating bad blood because you're not contributing.

Either way, you lose.

The least bad choice seems to me to be to withdraw now and get the consequences over with.

7. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Play miserably?

8. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Walk into practice and say "I break with thee. I break with thee. I break with thee." and then throw dog poop on all their shoes.