How do I get backing tracks into recording software?

purestmonk

Hi guys

Im about to record some jazz improvisation stuff by myself at home. Im thinking to jam over backing tracks from aebersold. Is there any way in which I could get these tracks into recording software like reaper?

And are there any alternatives to reaper? Freeware please!

Cheers

headstack

I do not use Reaper, but I would suspect it's architecture is like most other DAW software. so I will give it a go...
Create a session, and then...
Strike that!!!
I am stuck in the house, so I DLed it and installed it.
Go to the "actions" drop down menu, select import on the bottom of the action window and follow your intuition.

Last edited:

SideBMusic

I wonder if Audacity would do it? Macs come with GarageBand for free, but that may mean a new computer... not exactly free.

scredly

Go with Reaper. Just drag and drop the tracks into Reaper. Will create the track automatically.

Tubebender

I don't know about reaper, but Cakewalk has a window explored icon, that lets you browse and pick any sound source to import into your project. I've pulled in a crappy band recording to mildly master it and add a few guit parts.

meterman

Open a new project file, go to Insert menu Insert>Media File > browse to and add the file, when prompted add each file to a separate track if inserting more than one. For a stereo MP3 or WAV it will add a stereo track then just add a track for your guitar and rip away! :D

headstack

Open a new project file, go to Insert menu Insert>Media File > browse to and add the file, when prompted add each file to a separate track if inserting more than one. For a stereo MP3 or WAV it will add a stereo track then just add a track for your guitar and rip away! :D
Funny, this is EXACTLY what my intuition told me, but it didn't seem to work, so I used their help menu, and got what I posted after I did a runthrough.
Glad to know I can still stumble through foreign software:)
Funny, I loaded the update and it works like you posted too... Cool, and back to Pro Tools