How do I get MK II Fuzz ??? Without breaking the Bank !!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BobboVisMe, Feb 23, 2009.

1. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I've really been looking for a Fuzz that will do the whole MK II early Jimmy Page thing ... But the best pedal it seems for that is the D*A*M MKII but those cost an arm and a leg !!! Anyone have a good alternative ???

2. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

BYOC MKII, you can find one already built on here about every week or two for about $100, or you can be adventurous and build one yourself. Currently they are using the same model transistors (OC75) as D*A*M is. Another forumite did a side by side comparison not long ago and said that, while the D*A*M is still superior, the BYOC VERY close. I have one, but the previous owner swapped out the transistors for another set, I ordered a new OC75 transistor set from BYOC and it should be here any day now.

Sure it will sound amazing but I' not sure I'm a MKII man so I may sell it anyway. If you want, I'll give you a heads up if I decide to sell it.

Another good option is the Monsterpiece MKII, $110 new straight from the builder. It's actually based on the MK1.5 2 transistor circuit, but a lot of people love it to death and it sounds very similar to a MKII. It cleans up very well too unlike other tonebenders. I have one and it sounds great, has quite a bit more bass than other tonebenders which is a plus for me, but I may sell it soon also to fund a MKIII. Hit me up if your interested too.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

Throbak Stonebender, BYOC Tonebender Mk II, MJM Britbender, etc..

4. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I would be interested in the one you may sell ... Keep me in mind ! As for building my own , I'm a horror with a soldering iron !!!

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have the Stonebender, BYOC and the Monsterpiece and the Monsterpiece doesn't remotely sound like the other two- a lot more bass, cleans up well, much less saturation/mids/sustain. It sounds pretty much like a fuzzface to me which makes sense since that is what the MK1.5's were based on. Good sounding fuzz, but if you're after a MkII the Monsterpiece won't get you there despite its MkII name...

6. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Prescription Electronics Yardbox is a good one. A ton more versatile than a typical MKII too. I think I am gonna order a BYOC MKII soon.

7. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

email solgrind78 at gmail and tell him what you want. for less than half of most high end pedals he will tailor the pedal to you.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

I also have the Monsterpiece, and the two others, and agree.

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I've owned the MJM Britbender Original (2 knob version) and the Throbak Stonebender (twice actually). I thought both were great... Throbak was more flexible but the MJM was my favorite. It was louder and seemed to fit in the mix better. Both are great values... especially used. I've heard great things about the BYOC as well but never tried it.

10. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

I finally got to compare the two with my Tele today. Until now I really didn't get the Tonebender MKII thing and while I still think the BYOC is a bit bright, I'm starting to get it.

The BYOC is definitely the benchmark here since it's supposed to be the fairly accurate recreation and the Monsterpiece is obviously only a MKII in name. After comparing the two, it's like night and day. As far as comparing the Monsterpiece to a Fuzzface, I'd even go so far as to say the BYOC sounded more like a Fuzzface than the Monsterpiece. I really don't even know why he decided to call the Monsterpiece a MKII. The texture of the fuzz is definitely of the Tonebender type, but other than that it's got loads more bass (even more than a fuzzface), the mid response is different, and it's much darker. It sounds great, but you're right, NOTHING like the BYOC.