How do I get rid of grain pattern when painting??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by zp31pilot, Feb 28, 2006.

1. zp31pilot

zp31pilot Guest

I have a Gothic LP. and bought paint for it and sanded between coats as directed. I still got alot of grain. I want a stock mirror like finish. I do very well on automotive paint but this is not responding well. How do I get a mirror finish with wood. Is there a sealer that I can get??? Brad.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I'm not familiar with the Gothic LP but would guess the problem is the body never was grain filled.Is it mahogany?If so ,they really need a grain filler before sealing and painting.Are you starting from bare wood or over the existing finish?

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Since it's going to be painted, I'd start with a automotive filler/primer. One or two coats, then block sand. That should give you a flat surface for the paint.

4. Stike

Stike Member

Are you spraying over the factory finish or did it get sanded back to wood? If you're starting with wood you'll need to fill the pores and spray a good sealer. Since you want as best as I can tell no evidence of wood I'd say a good epoxy primer like PPG's DP or maybe a polyester like Evercoat Feather Fill. Whatever you spray it's best to let it sit in a warm to hot dry space for a few days before you sand and continue with the job.

5. littlemoon

littlemoon Member

If you're working from bare wood, use a filler and then a sanding sealer. There's some excellent pointers at the Guitar Reranch web site:

http://www.reranch.com/

I get perfect results following these instructions, and the Reranch paints and also top quality.

littlemoon

6. giles302

giles302 Member

You might also want to check out this blurb from one of Jeff Miller's builds. Scroll down to the 12/3/05 entry where he has some good discussion of grain filling. Good luck!