How do I get rid of the "popping"?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lilshopohorrors, Dec 25, 2009.

1. lilshopohorrors

lilshopohorrors Member

Driving me nuts!!!
    I have a Nashville Power Tele, and the middle pickup pops whenever I touch the mounting screw. With my playing style, thats A LOT! I basically stopped using that pickup.
    Checked the soldering, all looks absolutely fine. I am not sure where to go after that though. I don't know if I should take out the power bridge since I don't ever use it or what...
    Please help!!!

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I would jumper the screw to ground to see if I could touch it then.
    If that cures it, and there was no other findable fault, I would just ground it internally to something.

3. lilshopohorrors

lilshopohorrors Member

I grounded the screw. It took care of the problem completely, so thanks! This however leads to my next question... Do I ground the backing plate of the pickup? I want to fix the problem as aesthetically as possible.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The pup has a metal backing plate?

Your pickguard may have shielding material attached.
    Installing some and grounding it, and the screw to the shield should work or any bit of wire attached to the screw and run to any ground.

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

On a related note, I assumed the height adjustment screws on my VV '54 Pro were grounded, but are not, as are none of the Dimarzio Area pickups, so a lack of grounding was definitely the cause of the pops I was experiencing. I solved the problem by running two 1/4" strips of copper shielding tape across the rows of screw holes in the pick guard, making sure the bottom strip closest to the controls touched the aluminum shielding that came stock on the pick guard, which effectively grounds the copper tape. I also had to run a short strip of copper tape between the two long strips to ground the top row of screws. The screws pass through the tape, and the springs rest on the tape while also making contact with the screws. An easy fix if you want the essential benefit of shielding without shielding everything.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

...said the pirate, referring to the steering wheel on his crotch. :crazyguy

7. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Leo knew this would happen if you put more than 2 pickups on a Tele.

:hide