How do I get the mud out of my guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Wolf Static, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Hi!

I have a problem and I hope someone can kindly help.

I have a MusicMan Silhouette Special with a HSS (5-way split) configuration. The guitar has an alder body, so for all intensive purposes it's very much like a Strat. Click here to see it in action.

I have a DiMarzio Breed humbucker in the bridge, and since the shooting of the video (in the above link), I had the two single coils replaced with a pair of DiMarzio Area '58 stacked humbuckers. I also had the volume pot replaced to a 500K. I believe the tone pot is still at 250K.

I also have Graphtek saddles on the bridge.

Currently - my guitar sounds on the muddy side, but more importantly - the volume roll-off results in really awful, dull sounding MUD and won't clean up the gain. The sustain on the guitar has also been compromised for some reason. I'm playing through a Bogner Ecstasy 101B.

Objective: To improve sustain, and for the guitar to clean up with high-gain volume roll-offs... basically, behave like it did on the video link above, but with my Ecstasy as it did with the Marshall JVM. I hope that makes sense!

1. I think I need a capacitor and a resistor to go on my volume pot to maintain tonal integrity with high-gain volume roll-offs. Based on what's on my guitar - what kind of cap / resistor do I need? Is there a rating?

2. Will throwing in a 500K Pot in the tone brighten things up a bit? Or do I go with a 1M or do nothing?

3. Are the Graphtek Saddles hurting the tone of the guitar / affecting sustain? Are there are any recommendations for Saddles that would help my situation out?

Please forgive the excessive wordage, but I feel the more info I can provide the more someone can be positioned to help.

Thanks in Advance....

2. justicetones

justicetones Member

Just from the first reading I would say you should definitely change the tone pot to a 500k. I like the volume pot mod with a cap and resisitor. I use a 680pf cap and a 150K resistor in parallel.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If you're running an HSS guitar, I recommend using a 5 way superswitch and the following wiring scheme so that the humbucker sees 500k and the single coils see 250k. Yes, you should also do the volume mod for the roll off issues.

The Graphtech saddles are the primary cause of your muffled tone. The stock saddles are bent steel, so put those back on and see if your tone doesn't miraculously return.

Here's a diagram for HSS wiring:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=293930&highlight=wiring+diagram

4. justicetones

justicetones Member

I agree with testing1two. I didn't realize that the Dimarzio Area 58's are actually stacked but are really single coils in the way you treat them. A super switch is a good idea with the 500k resisitors to make the single coils see 250k.

5. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Thanks Guys... I'll probably throw my old saddles back in + try the super-switch! I have a 500K tone pot coming as well... much appreciated!

6. shane88

shane88 Member

i was gonna say with a hose too :bong

7. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Hollowbody? Turn over and shake.

Solidbody? Remove backing plate(s) scrape out with spoon.