1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get this double tracking effect on this vocal track?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Billy Moss, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

The song is by Nashville's own Kalie Shorr and she is amazing.

What is the effect process to get that double vocal effect? It's like it's off by a few milliseconds

Wrapped up in plastic
    Asleep in a straitjacket
    Solitary's where I learned to dream

Took the chains that held me back and
    I stretched them like elastic
    Snuck a chainsaw into quarantine

I'm waking up an angry butterfly
    Constellations in my eyes
    And darkness in my veins
    I've seen too much to censor myself now
    I found beauty in a breakdown
    And when I clawed my way out, I was changed
    I was changed

I'm a stumbling contradiction
    It is what it isn't
    A ballerina wearing combat boots
    Societal resistance
    Emotional crucifixion
    Going through hell gave me one hell of a attitude

And darkness in my veins

I'm too tired to lie
    And I'm too loud to hide

And darkness in my veins
    I was changed
    I was changed
    When I clawed my way out, I was changed

2. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

Sounds to me like it’s fully double tracked IRL. Could be an Eventide Harmonizer patch that was very heavily automated

Billy Moss and JiveJust like this.
  3. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

I can hear several vocal tracks, some call and response and harmonies. I would imagine it's just a bunch of doubled track stuff with some verb or even light chorus.

Billy Moss likes this.
  4. feet

feet Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just do it twice, foo. It's faster.

Or maybe the waves abbey road one...adt or something. Might be worth a demo or $30

Billy Moss likes this.
  5. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

What do you mean IRL?

6. feet

In real life

Billy Moss likes this.
  7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Nothing IME has ever sounded as good as a singer (with good control) singing it twice on different tracks.

GibsonGeek likes this.
  8. feet

therein lies the rub. Doing something exactly the same way over and over again is an extremely difficult and underrated skill for a singer.

MikeMcK likes this.
  9. sws1

sws1 Member

Sounds to me like an effect. It's too "perfectly imperfect" to sound double tracked. ie., every note is consistently out of tune with the other by a similar amount.

StratmanSteve and MikeMcK like this.
  10. dzb

dzb Supporting Member

Chicago area / WI - Milwaukee (Alpine Valley)
    real, hardware, or software....
    Eventide Orville, H8000, H-anything rack
    Antares AVP-1
    Melodyne
    Waves Ultrapitch, Doubler, Ovox
    or another trick to get that imperfect sound is to tune the original vocal and leave the original in the mix.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

That’s actually double tracked

12. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

I originally thought the non-harmonized parts were slight flange or an ADT effect, but little hints (e.g. 0:28) make me think it was just a very good job of double-tracking. But if you're looking to get something similar from a singer who's not as precisely consistent as this one, you should look for Izotope Vocal Doubler or Vacuumsound ADT... both are free.

Way off topic, but I'm not a fan of that mix. Whether the effect was double-tracking, flanging, ADT, etc. any of those will take some edge and presence off of the vocal. This one seemed to me to have a hard time cutting past that guitar.

13. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Ha, that was my first thought listening to it, horrible mix.

MikeMcK likes this.
  14. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

With some manual effort (using stretch markers in Reaper...other DAWs have their own way of doing this) I've successfully turned vocal takes into double tracks. This can lead to interesting sounds (and harmonies), especially if the singer hasn't yet landed on a specific method of delivery.

If I knew up front that I wanted a double tracked sound, I'd have the singer line up for a double pass. Probably would comp the main vocal first, so we know exactly what the reference track is supposed to sound like.

Failing that, I'd look for usable takes that didn't make the comp (or even sections of the main comp, but in a different order). This will require some audio surgery...

Failing that, I'd probably set up a micro-pitch patch on an aux (few cents up on one side, few cents down on the other, and a slight delay modulation).

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Supporting Member

That's sung for real. If you're working with a stack of takes, they can be manually edited, or a plugin like VocAlign works well.

16. louderock

louderock Member

Easy to get that by comping together other takes and using Melodyne to tighten things up.

Her verse melody reminded me of this:

17. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

There are so many things producers will do all at once. In this case, it sounded like the chorus was doubled by the singer with some harmonies, but at some points in the verse I thought it could have been mechanical doubling/spread.

Try the Doubler plugin by WAVES. It'll give you all the mechanical doubling you could want .... 4 extra voices you can pan, delay, detune and modulate, along with EQ.
    https://www.waves.com/plugins/doubler?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1N7sodSs6gIVDI3ICh1ZfwKpEAAYASAAEgJAwvD_BwE

Also, watch this video by Warren Huart on just how much can really go into a vocal mix. He breaks it all down and auditions all the individual processing that's going on in one mix. I've tried all of these, and it has made me think about and hear vocal mixes differently:

Vcaster and Billy Moss like this.
  18. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I agree that is IRL double-tracking and it is not even that exact. The Beatles were way better at it. Even John & Paul could match each other better than she matched herself - I assume she wasn't really trying that hard to make it match, Especially since any mix beginner can also time-align tracks after the fact in the edit window.

Also - all you need is a delay plugin, set anywhere from 6 ms to 40 depending on how much spread you want. For a lead vocal, you would go with shorter delays, for backups you can go longer and pan to opposite sides.

19. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

That's double-tracked. Don't make the mistake of copying the same track and offsetting it a little, that won't work. The only way to achieve that sound is to do separate performances and overlap them. Simple as that. I know because I always double-track my vocals.

Genghis likes this.
  20. Dasein

Dasein Member

You could try a couple things - you could send the vocal to a couple different buses.... On each bus you could de-tune slightly - one sharp the other flat -- and then run a delay with a very tiny tiny delay (and bury the dry).... Or you could render the tracks and manually adjust them my the tiniest fractions to give the appearance of 3 different vocals. -- run the main straight down the middle and pan the two buses lefty/right....

Radius likes this.