How do I hook-up my rig? help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by voodoo364, Aug 25, 2008.

1. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

I have acquired over several years a variety of amps and pedals that I deem to be "My rig". I am looking for solutions on how to set this whole mess up to achieve what I need.

I have a Strat that I run into two amps, a Fender SRRI and a Fender Bandmaster. I would like to run both amps at the same time/all the time. My effect chain is as follows:

Guitar-Teese Wah(true bypass)-Fulltone Deja Vibe-Fulltone OCD(true bypass)- Ibanez TS-9(buffered)- True Bypass Clean boost- Deluxe Memeory man (newer true bypass version)-Boss TU-2 tuner(buffered).

I guess my issue is that I want the EH DMM to run by itself into both amps and still access the other "chain" OR should I run everything in one big chain and use the DMM's two outputs as my "splitter" into the amps? I use the DMM for clean splashes of sound ala Eric Johnson.

Pedal order is also concern for me..where the heck should I bury the tuner? Is it ok for the DMM to be last? Help!!! any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated!

2. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Hi there

Your pedal order looks sound as is, Definitely leave the DMM at the end. All I would look at doing is getting the buffer from the TU2 out of the chain. I'd get it in an A/B set up or get it in a loop.
    The only other major problem is that the DMM flips the phase of the wet effect when you use it in stereo, not to mention the ground loop problem.
    So if you have both amps in phase when it's not on, your amps will be out of phase when you switch the effect on.
    The simple solve is just to run it in mono and use an isolation unit to get rid of any earth probs. There are solves if you want to run the system in stereo, but it's a tad more complicated to get everything in phase, but not impossible.
    Hope this helps

3. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

GP thanks for all the insight! Get the TU-2 outta' there and put it in it's own loop. Run DMM in mono and can I split to two amps from there?

4. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Absolutely. There are a couple of products that will do this but basically what you're after is something that will split the signal, send one with an earth to your main amp and send a phase reversible isolated signal to your second amp.
    You've already got one buffer in your signal path (TS-9) so the buffer from the tuner is not necessary, and personally I think the buffer in the TU2 isn't that great so best to get it out of the signal path when you don't need it. An A/B box is good for this because you can send your signal to your tuner, then to your rig all with a simple DPDT foot switch. Any decent A/B box will shunt the unused signal to ground when it's not being used which is important with the TU-2 as the LED's draw alot of current when in strobe mode, and this can cause hum in the signal when they flash while you play, so make sure when the tuner is selected, the signal going to the amp is shunted to ground, and when the amp is selected, the signal going to the tuner is shunted to ground

5. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member