How do i install a Celestion speaker in a DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues Jr, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Excuse my noobness, but i'm thinking of swapping a G12H-30 into my DRRI. I read somewhere that there are 8 holes on the stock Jensen, and 4 on the Celestion.

Is there a safe way to install the Celestion without drilling holes to make it fit? I read something about it somewhere, but i can't find it.

Thanks.

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i know it's not the same amp, but i put a celestion in a fender a while back and the screw holes matched up, so I just screwed the 4 in.

3. Blues Jr

Thanks. Did you have to remove the grill cloth at all? Or is it just a simple pull out the Jensen, and put in the Celestion?

4. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Unscrew the baffle board (the thing the grill cloth is attached to); it will pull right off the front of the amp. Lay flat, then a very simple operation to swap speakers. Baffle board screws are accessed through the back of the amp -- I believe there are either four or six of them.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

No. You don't need to remove the baffle board.

First, remove speaker wire from speaker (mark which wire is the hot one) Then all you do is take off the rear panel, unscrew the nuts holding the speaker in. Remove the speaker, put new speaker in it's place, screw nuts back in. Replace rear panel. Attach speaker wire. Done.

6. doublee

doublee Member

I'm not too sure that you can access all the screws without taking out the baffle in a DRRI. I know that I couldnt anyway. I think the OP was also asking about what to do with the 4 extra screws? DRRI has 8 and Cel has 4. I have read here that people saw them off...?

7. Blues Jr

Thanks, that seems simple enough. I don't have to remove the grill or anything like that right? Take all the screws out, and then just put the 4 in that hold the Celestion?

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The screws for the Deluxe baffle are installed from the front behind the grille cloth.You will need to cut four of the eight screws off to fit a Celestion speaker with four holes into your amp.Use a dremel or something like that to cut them off.You don't need eight bolts to hold a damn speaker in.

9. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

You can't get to some of the screws on the speaker through the back of the amp due to the chassis/transformers and the reverb pan. My experience only; but a heck of a lot easier to just take the baffle off and lay it flat in front of the cab.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

you need to remove the baffle...I have a drri and could not access all the screws from the back...

11. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

on mine, had to remove panels, chassis, and reverb.

You'll also have to deal with the extra 4 screws you dont need.
    protuding backwards through the baffle.

Maybe your best bet IS to go in from the front.

12. 4styx

4styx Member

I put aG12H-30 in my DRII (8 bolts).I drilled the speaker flange.Depends if your amp is worth more than the speaker.

13. alivegy

alivegy Member

Do the vintage fender amps respond well to the british speakers? What kind of sound does this give you?

14. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

My experience is that most times a Celestion can be squeezed in without removing the baffle. It is tight. Maybe there are some that are harder to fit.

And yes, more importantly, four of the screws should be removed, or cut.

15. Blues Jr

Hey all...thanks for the tips...
    I went ahead and did the swap. Luckily the G12H-30 had come out of another DRRI, and the guy already had drilled the extra 4 holes which was a bonus. After looking at it, the best and easiest way to swap the speaker was to remove the baffle. The Jensen was tight in there, and one screw was sitting right under the transformer. Would not budge. Easy thing, just 4 screws.

I swapped the speakers, put the baffle back on and all is good.
    And the Celestion sounds great:)