How do I make a backing track?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by macmeda, Oct 20, 2008.

1. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

Warning: Novice
    I used to play with a guy who would take different tracks out of a pre-recoded piece of music and we would use them as backing tracks. Like delete everything but drums and bass. How can I do that , and can I do it to professional recordings I've purchased say on itunes or a cd?

Thanks
    Mac

2. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

I pretty shure you cant do that. I know when my friends that i gig with do that by just recreating parts via midi and or audio. Sometimes though lets say there is a part of a song that all you here is the instruments you want you can cut just that section out and use it by repeating it during the songs you want as needed of course. LIke sometimes my friends will do that if a song starts with a loop and the instruments come in a full measure later you can cut out that beging part and use it by repeateing it through you "back tracks".

Sometimes you can extract stuff by the way they are panned but i suck at explain things.

Thanks my 2 cents. hope I dont completely suck at english. Peace.

3. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

It can sometimes be done. And sometimes it cannot.

If one of the two stereo tracks is phase inverted, and the two tracks are then summed together, everything that was on both tracks equally will be cancelled leaving only what was panned to one side or the other. This usually gets rid of the lead vocals. Unfortunately, it also gets rid of the bass and some drums, like kick and snare. But sometimes it works.
    Also, subtracting certain frequencies can eliminate what you want gone.
    I've pulled out the low frequencies, phase inverted and summed the frequencies that were left, then added back the lows. This left me with a perfect backing track.

In other words, it can take some real audio gymnastics! I've done it successfully on some songs, and couldn't do it on others, depending on how they were mixed.

I've never tried the hardware or software designed to do it for you. Maybe some of them are better than me! (You think?)

Good luck.