• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How do I make my Carr Rambler growl more?

Tonewolf

Is there something I can do to have lower volume breakup? This is a great clean amp but at home it's got too much headroom. Master Volume install? Any ideas?

KenSea

The Rambler has serious headroom. I havent really been sucessful in making it growl. I wish I had gotten the Swart.
Good luck!

Tonewolf

I tried a set of Groove Tube "Blue" 6L6s it's slightly better for breakup but not a blues amp. :(

I'm thinking of trying a ToneTubby Hempcone.

Tonewolf

I'd like to have mine changed and add a switch to go from the wonderful clean tone machine it is to the blues beast I'd like it to be.

tacorivers

Talk to Mike at KCA NOS tubes. You'll want a pair of low headroom 6l6's. Also try hotter pre-amp tubes.

fullerplast

Originally posted by Tonewolf
I'd like to have mine changed and add a switch to go from the wonderful clean tone machine it is to the blues beast I'd like it to be.
It's already in place and called the triode/pentode switch!:D

It does exactly what you describe, at least for me. The Rambler is a great blues amp! If you need more breakup at extremely low volumes you will need a pedal. Something like a Tim or Zendrive will work great.

Blueser

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by fullerplast
It's already in place and called the triode/pentode switch!:D

It does exactly what you describe, at least for me. The Rambler is a great blues amp! If you need more breakup at extremely low volumes you will need a pedal. Something like a Tim or Zendrive will work great.
Agreed! In addition, a pair of Sylvania 6L6WGBs from Mike at KCA will set you back about $65. These will give the Rambler less headroom, and a smooth smokey blues breakup.

Also, the new Barber DD is incredible with the Rambler. That and the TIM are my two fave, though I would like to try the Zen at some point.

I really love the Rambler. It was been in the stable the longest of any of my other amps!

Blue Strat

Originally posted by tacorivers
Talk to Mike at KCA NOS tubes. You'll want a pair of low headroom 6l6's. Also try hotter pre-amp tubes.
JAN Philips 6L6WGBs and RFT 12AX7s will definitely help.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
6L6WGB will sweeten the amp up but MAN-O-MAN the Rambler is not an amp for house playing.

tacorivers

I play my Rambler at home, but I have a dedicated studio room. I find that the Rambler is a great low volume amp. Even at full tilt, its not that loud.

fullerplast

Actually, I think that you will have this "problem" with any non-master volume amp. Even a tweed champ will get pretty loud for late night home use.

If you like the basic tone of the Rambler but also want more crunch at low (or high) volumes as well, I can't think of a better amp than a Fuchs ODS 30SLX. Best of both worlds....:AOK

Red Planet

Carr Rambler + Weber Blue Dog in Triode Mode Cranked = Good Freakin Tone:dude

To me the Clean sufers but who needs clean anyway.

Trending Topics