how do I put the knobs on???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by zach5150, Oct 24, 2005.

1. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

I've rebuilt amps, completely disassembled and rewired and setup guitars, done almost anything imgineable to these things...but one thing completely mystifies me!

How do I get the knobs (setscrew type) mounted back on my tele without them being all wobbly and cock-eyed????? I'm dyin here!
    hehe...
    thanks in advance for any suggestions....

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If the pot shafts are plain, they should fit perfectly... are you using split/ridged shafts?

If you've used split shafts and the knobs are cockeyed, you may have a problem. If you've tightened the set screw onto one side of the shaft, chances are it's now bent inwards. It's very difficult to straighten it out again without breaking the half off - even with a lot of experience and a steady hand. If you can manage it, you need to do one (or both) of two things: set the knob on so the screw presses exactly onto the split, not one side or the other (which doesn't always leave the screw in the right place, I like to use it as a marker), or pack the slot with something - a piece of a thick pick is usually about right, Tortex seems the best :).

If you have broken the shaft off, you can sometimes get away with supergluing the broken half to the good one with a piece of pick in between (I do this on broken original pots on vintage guitars if I have to), but it's much better to replace the pot really.

3. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Yeah, they are split shaft, but the shaft sides are still intact and not bent. The setscrew has always been aligned so that it tightens on the split, so it doesnt press the two sides together, even still, I cant seem to get them aligned! I'm going to rewire the guitar very soon, so when I do, I'll use solid shafts.....i'll try filling the gap w/ something in the mean time and try again though!
    Thanks for the reply...

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

How about a couple layers of tape wrapped around the shaft? It might not work but then again it might.

5. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

go to the allparts webbsite..they have small brass inserts,like a short piece of brass tubing, to put into the knobs so that they'll fit on split shafts...

6. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

cool....sounds like the allparts deal is what I need....i'll take a look. thanks for all the suggestions everyone!