How do I record my amplifier with a Mic into my comptuter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalguru, Feb 24, 2012.

1. pedalguru

pedalguru Member

Hoping to do some mixing but not quite sure what equipment I will need to record. I have a SM57 right now, what else will I need?

2. Keld

Keld Member

3. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I believe the Apogee products get a good rap around here for use with Macs. Not sure whether they will work with PC products?

I'm in the market for the same kind of thing as the OP and was looking at the Apogee. If anyone knows whether any of the cheaper alternatives that are close to as good, then chime in.

4. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

i am interested too! I already have an interface into my Mac.

Most recording softwares have amp simulators and I usually go from guitar into pedalboard into the interface.

So if I have a mic like a shure 58, how do i go about to mic the amp?

5. Johns62312

Johns62312 Member

I tried a Tascam DR07 but really have not tried it around the house. Did record a band with it and it turned out alot better than I expected.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I use this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BALICICLE

Not endorsing zzounds or the Blue Icicle unit... it works... I got mine at GC. I use it with an SM57 into my Macbook Pro into Garageband and, as stated, it works. Whether it's the best solution out there, I can't say. I liked its price point, though, for sure.

7. GroovyTubes

GroovyTubes Member

I use a Presonus audiobox (on a 2011 MB Pro). It has the capabilities of both XLR and 1/4" cable inputs, as well as input monitoring, L&R output speakers etc etc. For the price it really is an awesome little box. Plus, if you know how to set it up correctly (and have a decent computer) then you won't have any latency issues (i have none).