How do I reset 3 dig locking Gibson case?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Trowerfan, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

I have a Gibson case with the 3 digit code to open it. I bought the case used years ago and I think the sales guy showed me how to set it. I need to change the #'s since I have a feeling that someone knows how to unlock it and I keep some valuable things in there besides the guitar. I would assume the case would have to be unlocked to do this which would make sense. Thanks in advance for any info!

2. scanlory

scanlory Member

-Set the combination to the current one

-Push the latch button to the right

-Set new combination

Makeshift DEEJ likes this.
  3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I've always had luck with a flat screwdriver and a hammer. Last time I ever had to reset it.

-Rich

4. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

Thanks for the info!

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

I never use the lock, and all of my cases with a combo lock still have the little pin in them to keep them at zeros. All the keyed cases, the keys are in the case. However, the above instructions are correct. And if you have a locked case and don't know the combo, you can use a little pin the right size, and put it in the hole and turn the roller until the pin goes to the next one, etc., until you find the combo to get it open.

Makeshift DEEJ likes this.
  6. tybone

tybone Member

After trying this rather effective method, I opted for Scott's

7. ARch

ARch Member

Me three. My Gibson case had the red-plastic piece pulled out so I had to set a code, but the G&G case that my G&L came with quickly had it's keys thrown away.

My tech spoke wisely: If someone is going to steal your guitar, they're taking the case with them. If you spot a dude running with a guitar, he stole it. If he's running with a case, obviously the tour bus left without him.

The only person you're locking out with a key/code is you.

Of course, I don't have anything in my case of value other than the guitar so my strategery is a bit different.

8. jcshirke

jcshirke Member

Help!

I can't get into my Les Paul case. I never set the lock, and now, for some reason, the case won't open. Maybe the numbers got bumped around last time I opened it and put the guitar away. No clue what happened. I assumed the combo was set at 0-0-0, but no dice.

I read the instructions above, but there is no hole anywhere that I see to put a pin into. I once knew a guy who could listen to the lock as you turned the numbers and he could figure out the combo. Unfortunately I don't have those skills.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

9. SteveSchu

SteveSchu Member

It is so easy it is silly. Look real close in between the numbered disks and you will see a dot, or a dimple.......line up the three.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's not that easy. you'll see a blue (or red, i forget) plastic tumbler thingy down in the mechanism under each number wheel. turn the number wheels til a little slot appears on each tumbler (you might need a flashlight to see it). line up the 3 tumbler notches in the middle, and you're open.

i agree the lock is worthless against thieves, but it is useful to stop little brothers and roommates from messing with your guitar. that's about it.

11. jcshirke

jcshirke Member

Case open! Thanks, lads, for the great help! :dude

12. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

yep mines got that combination once or twice. seems to work every time.

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

I guess Gibson got tired of fielding calls about this; the current Gibson USA black cases just have latches - although the latch in the spot where the combination lock was located on the brown cases has a loop for a padlock. Also no shroud on the black cases.

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Just for everyone's information, the Gibson site has the procedure for this on their website, I think it's on a Support-FAQ page or something. The question comes up at least once a year.

Al

15. heardthatone

heardthatone Member

I've removed the top latch completely off both my Gibson cases. No one thinking of stealing my guitar at a gig would be foiled by a locked case - take case with guitar home and read this forum on how to open case. Useless locks.

16. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

My Dad always used to say, "Locks only keep honest people out!"

17. jcshirke

jcshirke Member

Pretty funny...

Cheers to your dad!

18. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

I have a brown guitar case that is locked and can't open any other help?

19. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The lock isn't to prevent thieves from stealing your guitar. It's to keep curious hands off of the guitar.

One day I had my guitar, in it's case, in my cube at work. I stepped out for a moment and when I came back I found my inconsiderate boss playing my guitar! I locked the case from then on.

20. mwm523

mwm523 Member

See, here's the guy who ran off with your locked case at the gig last night!!
    :rotflmao :p ;) :mob