how do i run 2 effects units in loop 1 at a time?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kent, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Kent

Kent Member

i have a allan holdsworth ud stomp that i love for chordal stuff, and i want to remove it from the signal path and run another unit during solo's, how would i achieve this? i would prefer to keep the cables short, and use my midi switcher out front that controls my effects, dont want to spend a arm and a leg to do this, i have seen some units that do this but they are so over priced??

2. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

1. Get a Dual Looper and use longer cables...or
    2. Hire a roady to turn it on and off for you :D

3. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Boss LS-2 for about $80 new.

I have one being shipped to me now. It'll let you run two independent loops to use one at at time, or with each other. Also has separate level control for each loop.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-LS2-Line-SelectorPower-Supply?sku=151369

Sounds strange, but I'll be using mine to mix my guitar signal with the MagicStomp. Hopefully it's loose some of its digital aftertaste that way, and I'll get back some of "feel" lost a bit with the MagicStomp's digital buffering.

Hope that helps,
    -- Joe

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Unfortunately it's not likely to work too well. The signal through the Yamaha will have latency on it caused by the A/D/A conversion, and when you mix this with the original dry signal itself, you'll create a comb-filter type of effect and a thin or odd sound (a bit like a flanger with the rate and depth set to off).

The LS-2 is a great loop mixer for this sort of thing with analog pedals or digitals which can be set to 100% wet on delay-based sounds, but it can't cure latency (or phase) problems when there's a dry signal in both paths.

5. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Doh!:jo Well, I"ll go ahead and give it a try anyway.

If nothing else, it might be cool to try mixing my guitar signal with my OD and dirt pedals using the LS-2... a la Sparkle Drive.

-- Joe

6. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Wait a second. I just re-read your post, and now I remember somebody else using the LS-2 to mix the MagicStomp and guitar signal. *And* he said to set the MagicStomp to 100% wet, which can be done on most or all of the time-modulation patches I care about from the MS. So maybe it'll work that way.

-- Joe

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Could also use a Axess GRX4 if mono is ok. But all those effects sound much better in stereo, and I don't care what the PA is doing. I use a Yamaha SPX2000 and a Lexicon PCM81 in a small WDW. Some of those patches are just mindblowing in full stereo.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, it will work perfectly like that. The only time there's an issue is if you have dry signal going through the digital converters.