How Do I start recording on my computer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GuitarSoul24, Oct 8, 2005.

1. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

I have Acid Music Studio program, A really good computer, and guitar, what cables do I need to plug in? I have an pod xt live but im returning it because its not working. I know you could record on the PC using the pod but without it how can I. Thanks!

2. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

What cables do I need and equipment though? That site talks about plug-in programs and the types of recording.....

3. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

GuitarSoul24,

The link that Gerry gave you is going to be your best resource here. The particular page that he gave you though just talks about the plugins. Use the navigation on there to find the home page and read up on it. The site was designed to answer EXACTLY the questions that you have. He has even diagramed out different types of studios, based on budget, listing the hardware and software that is recommended.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I know that you're looking for more specifics, but it's just too broad of a question right now. I'd suggest that you take a look at the mentioned sites to get a better idea of what's involved and the come with more specific questions.

In a nutshell though, you need a way to get the audio into your computer (an audio interface). Which one? Again, huge range of products here.... do you have Firewire? USB? PCI? all of which have their pros and cons (all of which, the site that we've pointed out to you clarifies in great detail).

Good luck. When you narrow down your options, then maybe ask about some specific products or options that you are thinking of.

Rick

4. joseph

joseph Member

Rick is right. On the one hand, there's a LONG and at times steep learning curve with this stuff, especially if you want it to sound halfway decent. On the other, once you get the hang of it, it's a heck of a lot of fun.....
    Come to think of it, it's kind of like learning guitar was, right? ;)

But seriously, you have to think of it that way. It's really like taking up another instrument, so be patient with yourself.

I know all the adds for these gizmos/software claim you'll be recording great sounding stuff in no time, but that's just marketing BS.

5. ramsa

ramsa Guest

As one just starting out, I have had some good results with my Sony Vaio laptop and an Echo Indigo soundcard for recording...
    Whatever I put in front of this simple set-up seems to copy without much noise, and is pleny to learn some basics on, I think...

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I'm in the same postion as you are. I have a Sony Vaio Desktop that comes with a SB Audigy LS sound card (24bit/96mhz). Acid Music Studio is a Sony Product so should be very compatible with unit.

I want to record over background tracks or loops, ...guitar straight into the computer. Do that until I master it before I think of moving up.

There is al Sound Forge Audio Studio, same price as acid, but seems for recording and editing only - could see anything about loops in the specs.