How do I stop my delay from repeating after I turn it off?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmarkj22, Feb 1, 2012.

1. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

I know this is probably a basic question for most of you but I was just wondering. When I'm using my Boss DD20 delay I noticed that the signal continues to repeat even after I turn off my pedal. My question is, how do I klll the signal completely when I turn off my pedal? This is particularly important when I'm playing dotted 8ths because the delay continues for a long time.

2. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Can't. DD20 trails can't be turned off.

You can put it into a TB looper instead.

3. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

My DD7 does the same thing. I do wonder if it has more to do with the pedal being a buffered circuit, being that all the analouge delays I have used are true bypass and as soon as the pedal is switched of the repeats stop. The only digital pedals I have used are Boss and hence, all buffered bypass.

IDK maybe its just a digital/ analouge thing. That really doesn't help sorry. Anyone???

4. cheameup

cheameup Member

you can but its a pain. you have to turn it off with the left pedal then cycle through 2 presets with the right pedal

will kill whatever delays are repeating

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

You can also just make another preset with just 1 repeat (Feedback level set fully CCW) and turn the pedal off about a second before you want to a dead stop.

6. guitarzdude

guitarzdude Member

7. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

put your pedal tuner after the delay.

8. Zero G

Zero G Member

Plug your ears.

9. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Get a Boomerang Delay... natural fades whether you shut it off, switch to another setting, etc.

10. MG90

MG90 Member

+ for the switch or blend pedal.

11. Class5

Class5 Member

A handgun is effective.

12. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

If you spray it with a hose for a few minutes I am sure it will stop repeating!

13. Kinct

Kinct Member

Simply run it into a looper like TheGigRig QuarterMaster. It cuts everything while you turn it off.

14. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Isn't that exactly what he's tryign to avoid?

15. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Wasn't sure he was avoiding that... does he want a 'dead stop' of repeats, or for any repeats to finish off within it's 'repeat' cycle? With the Boomerang, even with very long repeats, it does cut them off very quickly when you shut it off, but naturally and not abruptly.

16. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Many delay pedals, especially ones as advances as the DD20 (with the presets and all), have a setting to turn off the trails when the pedal is disengaged. I don't know the DD20 well enough, but I would say flip through the manual since the answer hasn't come up here yet. I own a Flashback and it is a simple dip inside it for buffered bypass (you need a buffer for repeats after disengaging the pedal).

17. MG90

MG90 Member

Why spend hundreds and take up huge board space when a small inexpensive single loop or blend box will do exactly what he wants?

It would be as cheap to get a new delay pedal...a used Echo Park for $75 would give both options.

18. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

You can't turn off trails with the DD20.

19. meterman

meterman Member

LOL! :rotflmao

I built a second board and got my DD20 going again, what a great delay! I'm using it mostly as a looper b/c I also have an AD900 on there but the analog mode of the DD20 hangs really well with the AD900, just a beautiful sound.

to the OP, I guess the easiest thing might be to put a volume pedal at the end of your chain and kill the signal, TB loop would work too but with a volume pedal you could fade it out if you wanted to..

20. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

This thread is a bit confounding for me as I used to wish for trailing after switching out, or it sounded unaturally abrupt. Are you dudes getting extra delay when changing presets, WTF??