• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How do I tell if I fried a Germanium Trans.?

Helland

So i just built a rangemaster clone from a board I bought off ebay.
There is almost no output.
The Boost pot acts more like a volume.

I checked all the connections for continuity and they all seem good.

I'm thinking that i fried the transistor.

Any help?

Thanks
Jeff

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
Check the gain. Google "technology of the Fuzz Face" for a great article on selecting and testing germaniuim transistors and how to build a tester.

cj_wattage

The Boost pot acts more like a volume.
Well, it sort of is like a volume control.

But what you're describing sounds more like you have a grounding problem. I had the same thing happen on a Rangemaster I recently built. There was very low output. I thought maybe the germanium was weak (even though I had tested it with my Atlast DCA). I figured out that I had overlooked one of the ground connections. Problem solved.

Check the voltage on all three leads of the transistor. If there is a grounding problem, you'll likely read close to 9v on all the leads.

Trending Topics