how do I tell which is the brdg PU?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by nemp, Jul 15, 2005.

1. nemp

nemp Member

I have aset of 3 single coils (Rios vintage TBs) and I'm not sure which is the bridge. 1 PU has grey and white wires as opposed to the others which have blk and wht. are there meters I can hook them up to and see which is hotter or are they just the same?

2. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

use an ohm meter and rank them according to the readings that you get. if memory serves the hottest will be in the bridge, middle in the middle and the lowest in the neck position.

3. nemp

nemp Member

So the higher the number on the ohm meter the hotter the PU? In other words if i get readings of "2, 4, 6", I can assume its "nk(2), mid(4) brdg(6)"?

4. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

exactly..good luck with it.

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Were you supposed to receive a set with a middle pickup that is RWRP with respect to the other two? The one with the different color wires is usually the RWRP pickup, which is the middle one.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I had some RG strat pups. The one with the grey wire is the middle one.

7. alderbody

alderbody Member

The one with the different wire should be the RW/RP middle.

As for the other two, measure their impedance with an Ohm-meter. If there is a difference between their values, put the one with the larger value to the bridge position.

8. nemp

nemp Member

Ok I took readings of all 3 and the RW has the highest reading but I'll leave that in the mi and keep the lowst of the 3 as my nk. thanks.