How do I throw up a sound clip?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Dave Steves, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Dave Steves

Dave Steves Member

Just wondering how I would easily be able to post a clip if I were to throw something together with one of the backings so generously posted here? I have never posted anything but get the desire occasionally to do so. I'm not real computer savvy, so.....any suggestions would be helpful. I have the ability to record and supply an mp3, after that I'm lost. Thanks in advance.

2. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

does your isp give you any file hosting space? if so throw it up there and post the link.

otherwise some folks use soundclick or putfile or other free file hosts, but it's a little more difficult to listen to these as they often don't just play when you click on them, you sometimes have to watch ads or login, etc. to hear.

3. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

4. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

You need a multi-track recording program, Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, many of these have very down-sized versions for simple tasks like yours.

Then you import the backing track into two tracks (or one stereo track most likely) and start doing takes on the other tracks.

Then you get the levels right and export the audio (only select the keeper tracks!) and name it as a .wav or .aiff (?) for a mac.

Then you have to convert to .mp3. I have a separate program to do this, (Cakewalk Pyro--excellent) but some programs come with a converter.

Then you upload via ftp to either your webspace or an independent one like soundclick or nowhereradio.

Then post a thread and provide a hot link to the file, and it should stream in most folks' media players.

Get Scott to help you fercryinoutloud!

5. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Tyrone has the system down. That's exactly how I do it. I use Cakewalk's "Guitar Tracks Pro 3," as it's a cheap & fun way to get into digital recording. It's perfect for things like doing little jam tracks, demos, and sound clips.

Then I just use soundclick, as it's pretty easy to use and easy to link for others.

JC

6. scottl

scottl Member

Doh... You putz.

I can't believe you even posted this. Email me whatever you want to post and I can host.

7. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

And while that's very generous of you, you're a busy guy, so when he has that track that's so good he has to post it yesterday, he might be left stewin' in his juices till yer available. If a total computer mook like me can do it, so can he.

And this way, if he's not buggin' ya, you'll have more time to help me! :D

Dave, you /should/ have an ftp program on your computer, if not, search for "Smart FTP", it's free even after the trial. I think I may send them money. It's a good program.

Soundclick's instructions are easy, and you don't even need an ftp program for that. But for your own webspace, you'd need one. The only advantage of your own space is direct linking. Soundclick is free, but if you want direct linking costs a few bucks.

8. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Ty,

Dave and I talk all the time... It would not be any imposition. I just don't think he wants to be associated with me... sniff.... :(

9. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

I think Sela's interrogation techniques are what scared him off!

10. Dave Steves

Dave Steves Member

Thanks Ted, very helpful, I will look into (my internet provider?) the ISP file hosting space.

JL, thanks, mp3 hosting sites...sounds easy enough.

Tyrone, thanks for the detailed run through, very helpful.

Thanks Jayson, seems like quite a few gear pagers use soundclick. I have sonar so I'll probably use that for the recording.

Scott....hey who are you calling a putz? Scott - ya know, the kids, the amp tweeking, the brokering, etc.....you are a busy guy...I honestly don't know how you juggle it all. I would like to be able to post something up myself without bothering you, but I appreciate your generosity fercryinoutloud!

"Dave, you /should/ have an ftp program on your computer, if not, search for "Smart FTP", it's free even after the trial. I think I may send them money. It's a good program."

"Soundclick's instructions are easy, and you don't even need an ftp program for that. But for your own webspace, you'd need one. The only advantage of your own space is direct linking. Soundclick is free, but if you want direct linking costs a few bucks."

Mucho gracious Robert (Tyrone), this is very helpful.

"I think Sela's interrogation techniques are what scared him off!"

You've got that right! She's a real pistol and pretty much runs the show over at Lerner central;)

Thanks all for the help.