How do I use my pedalboard with my guitar and bass rig?

I'm in two bands and mostly play bass in both, but I also play guitar on a handful of songs at shows and our keyboard player switches to bass for those.

How can I make it where I can use my pedalboard for my guitar rig and bass rig without unplugging cables on stage?

I'll look into the LS2. The thing is, I use most of my pedals for both guitar & bass, so I would need to use the pedalboard for both rigs in the same show.

I was thinking I could run a guitar into one input and a bass into the other at the beginning of the chain, then the same at the end of the chain out to each amp. Obviously I want to be able to select each amp to be on or off, since I wouldn't want my bass going through guitar amp and vice versa.

Curious if there was one box to do both rather than putting one at the beginning and one at the end.

Black_Label

I have different pedal boards for different amps, let alone whole different instruments. I'd build a small bass board.

Junta

A couple of cues for guitar AND bass use: Radial Engineering JDI DI box, and Boss GEB-7 Equalizer...

How ?

Right board in front of amp with guitar, left board in effects loop.

With bass, I connect the two boards (and disconnect send/return as necessary) by going from Empress ParaEQ (last in chain in right board) to Moog MF-103 Phaser (big pedal on the right side of left board).

The Empress Compressor is priceless, brilliant really with its side chain... I use it with the Boss GEB-7 Bass equalizer turned on with bass, turned off, without bass (out of the overall signal chain, just in the 'sidechain' of the Empress Compressor, with the settings that you hopefully can see).

The Choruses work miracles on bass sound, and do not discount wacky delay and reverb possibilities with bass. Empress ParaEq works as a high pass filter for bass, getting rid of stuff below 40-45hz, and low pass, getting rid of highs as you see fit...

If I do not need anything other than the stuff on right board for the bass, I do not connect the ParaEQ with Moog Phaser; then the output of first board goes into the bass amp. You get compressor, dirt and EQ.

OK - so this scenario is not a click-on-one-pedal solution... But if you can pull it off, so much cheaper than multiple boards.

Caution - I do not, could not (!) make a single cent playing guitar live! I record for pleasure...

Good luck!

Last edited:

slave

I play bass and guitar from the one pedalboard, it's been a challenge to find pedals that do justice to both.
As far as amps go, the Ampeg V4 is pretty good at covering both, but I tend to use a booster when I'm playing on guitar with it, in order to make it break up a bit.
And yeah, I use the same cab for both (berg NV412) for live sound. Sure it's not ideal, but then live sound is always a compromise anyway, and I refuse to carry more than I need when the soundman is going to compress the living **** out of my tone regardless.

But from what you're saying, you hand over your bass to the keys player. Why not get them to unplug leads for you? ;) Seriously tho, how large is your effects use for those guitar tunes?

It sounds like you need some form of switcher, possibly one at the start and another at the finish of your board. I guess there would be ways to do this with the one box, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head?

My guitar rig is a AC30HW 2x12 combo and bass rig is a GK 700rb 210 combo. I really haven't used distortion and delay with bass, but my pulp n peel comp, Q Tron + and phaser sound cool on bass and of course my tuner. It would be silly to buy the same pedals just for another board.

I guess what I can do is just have the a/b/y going at the end and out to both amps, then just unplug the guitar/bass depending on which i'm playing.

Trending Topics