1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do long distance trades work?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jollygreen, May 16, 2011.

1. jollygreen

jollygreen Member

For example if I say I want to trade a Gibson 335 red in color, for a desert burst (or some such) Gibson 335, how does that work? And I realize I would have to add some cash.

First we exchange profuse photographs?

Then, who ships first? Can I specify the other party ships first?

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

When it's a trade there's no reason for one side to ship first.

When I've traded, the other party and I have set a date for shipping and we both ship on that date. I've had one person decide to wait until they got my item before they shipped theirs, but that is just not acceptable.

If someone told me I had to ship first, we'd be done with any potential deal.

3. jollygreen

jollygreen Member

How many trades have you done? Have you ever been burned?

4. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

I had a deal once where we decided on a ship date for both parties and we scaned and e-mail each other the shipping recipt before a certain time on that day. Also we had many many phone calls and picture e-mailing prior to shipping. I got to know the dude pretty good.

5. rhinocaster

Maybe 5 or 6 trades over the years.

You do have to spend quite a bit of time communicating with the other person so that you're both comfortable going in.

Remember, the other guy doesn't know you either. :)

Haven't been burned.

6. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I'll tell you my experience.
    I had just joined TGP and was gettin' the "tele fever".
    This guy had a Warmoth tele for trade, butterscotch, blackguard, dead secksy u know.

I had a Fender American Standard strat that I just bought for a great price.
    It was a good player but I already had my #1 strat.
    So I pm'ed the guy with the tele and sent him my phone number and told him to call me.
    We spoke over the phone and I basically told him that I'm not a rip off artist and he had better not be either.
    I was cordial but direct. No F*n around.
    So we agreed to send out the guitars on the same day. I emailed him the tracking number and he emailed the other tracking number back to me.
    Both guitars arrived when they were supposed to and there were no problems.

Talking on the phone and being direct goes along way towards avoiding a misunderstanding.
    In fact if I can't get a home phone number, which I verify first, then I won't do the deal.
    It might not be necessary to always talk on the phone, say for instance that you're dealing with a reputable dealer or a well known TGP'er.
    But my main rule of thumb when dealing with someone new is to get a verifiable phone number where the person doing the deal can be reached.
    Talk first. if you get a bad vibe when talking you can cancel the deal.
    No harm, no foul.
    Good luck.

7. Donovan

Donovan Member

I did it once with a guy on the Rickenbacker Resource Forum. He had just bought a new 330/12 FG and decided he would rather have a 6 string. I had a new 330/6 JG and told him I would trade with him if he was interested. He said ok. we talked on the phone and were able to size each other up from our posts on the this form and experiences with other other members. We coordinated it so that me both shipped the same day and we agreed that if either of us was unhappy with the deal we could swap back. It went of without a hitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

Honestly, the long distance trading is SO much easier than dealing with the "Craigslist people".

9. vintage66

vintage66 Member

When you agree to ship the same day, and you do, what guarantees that he does too? After you take yours to UPS or USPS or wherever and send him the tracking #, what if you just don't get one in return? Of course he could mail you a box of rocks too. I think it's inherently riskier than buying something with paypal, great when it works, which is the majority of the time, but I'm just a little paranoid maybe.

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Craigslist definitely has it's own set of problems/characters.

11. rhinocaster

There are no guarantees. Plenty of people get taken when they use Paypal or send a money order too.

I don't think trades are any riskier than straight sales.

As has been mentioned, getting a feel for the other person and getting actual phone numbers where you can reach them really helps.

If it doesn't feel right, don't do the deal~!

12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

A phone call, a check of the Sticky "good guy" list or EBay Feedback, and it's all good.

13. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I was recently going to trade amps with someone long distance. We spoke on the phone twice. He was a longtime forumite on another board, older gent (60's), respectable type. He wanted me to send my amp and if he "liked it" he would send me his. Uh, no.

Looking deeper on that board (and others) he had been on an amp quest for a long time and had gone thru quite a few just in the previous month.

Nope.

14. goodwater

goodwater Member

I've always gone with the notion of the one who instigates the idea of the trade ships first (sometimes it's me, sometimes the other party) and never had a problem

15. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I've only done 2 trades but both were excellent experiences, I was nervous on the first one but after that, it was cool. As long as there's contact, the person isn't brand new and you feel comfortable, there's no reason why both guitars cannot be shipped simultaneously.

16. straycat113

straycat113 Member

It really boils down to trust and doing your homework and getting as much info as you can, which works both ways. I was looking for a certain guitar for the longest time and came across it on CL in Kansas, I am in NY. The guitar is no longer in production and the owner was just a fan of the player and bought it as a collectable and was not a player and it was in NOS condition after 15 years. After exchanging phone numbers I called him and found out he was from Boston originally as he was a Patriots fan, and that his job landed him in Kansas. Here is where things got a bit weird, he said he would be willing to ship the guitar and also gave me his wifes and his work number, after hanging up I did a reverse check with the operator and all 3 numbers were cell phones. When I brought this up he said thats all they use and that is the new thing with most people in there 30s and he had no hard line to give me. Now if this was not the score it was I would of ended things there, but I wanted that ax lol. So I asked him if he had an ebay account which he did not but said he was about to open one, so I just kept in touch and waited a week and told him I would pay the ebay fees, and had him just describe the guitar in full detail and just post a pic of the headstock at 4:am on a Monday, since I did not want anyone else jumping on it after going through all of this. I also sent him a Youtube link on how to ship a guitar as I figured he would not have a clue, and was right. Well everything in the end could not of turned out any better and everyone was happy, but this was the only way it could of been done. I think anyone would be insane to send money or a guitar based on 3 cell phone numbers, just have to get a bit creative.

17. bassame

bassame Member

Wow Straycat. I admire your resourcefulness and tenacity. You should start a business as a trade negotiator/arbitrator.

18. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

You people relying on land line phones need to get out of the 1900's and into the 21st century. I literally don't know a single person with a land line phone outside of my 85 year old grandpa. Even my and my wifes parents are all wireless now. If you can look me up in a directory, so can a telemarketer, and I haven't had a telemarketing cold call in 10 years.

I've done several trades on this very board and they have been great. I had regrets on one where I got a Soldano amp that just really sucked bad, but that was my fault for never having played one before. The amp was perfect, their tone just sucks to me. Tried two others and they were just as terrible. My own fault. My thing is to look at a posters history and talk with them. If they have no history, or you can tell they're a jerk to everyone on forums, then I wouldn't deal with them. I will say there are only about 2 other internet boards I would do this with, and HC is NOT one of them.

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

THIS!

I don't think I'd ever trade on Craigslist unless I could get the guy to meet me at the local music store.

I've done a handful of trades here on TGP and on the Praise and Worship forum, as well as some sales on both... I have had nothing but positive experiences. One was borderline, but at the end of the day we both worked hard to make it a good deal.

This is why I just upgraded my membership to Gold... (That... and to put my pretty picture out there for all to see...) I really appreciate this place.

I actually have not had to sell one single item on eBay in the past four years because of TGP.

Yay!

20. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I had a Victoria Bassman 2-12" that I offered for trade for a PRS McCarty.. took me a year to get decent responses and I finally got two trade offers, I was about to fire on one when a third trade came in for the exact guitar I wanted, flame, birds etc...

We got together on the phone, he in Manhattan me in WA state. We agreed to send each other the instruments and had 48 hrs from recieveing to make up our mind. We agreed that if we wanted to trade back we'd wait a few weeks so we could at least enjoy the instruments and we'd get some reward for all the shipping costs..

He loved the amp I loved the guitar.. it was pretty nerve wracking waiting for him to say he wanted the trade.. it worked perfectly and I still have the McCarty.