How do modeller manufacturers ensure that their models sound like the real thing?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by NelsonP, Dec 13, 2019.

1. KHAN

KHAN Member

Appreciate the effort. But some people still deny climate change, and believe the earth is flat... :confused:

Brandon7s and adamquek like this.
  2. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Hey, that's my point, too! :D

Gearzilla likes this.
  3. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Go read that Waza Air headphone thread end to end. When you come back you'll want to give this thread a Pulitzer. :D

cabojoe likes this.
  4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Yes. I found when I don't play at all, they all sound the same.
    That is one cool product, and I will refrain from spoiling it by reading what anyone on THP has to say about it :)

mbenigni likes this.
  5. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Does the "H" stand for "haters"? ;)

Guitardave and Watt McCo like this.
  6. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

It's called "A/D Perversion"

ejecta, Alex Kenivel, mody and 2 others like this.
  7. djd100

djd100 Member

It certainly does, it "kills" your ears and makes you run to your nearest tube amp! :p

mody likes this.
  8. Chocol8

Chocol8 Member

Have you ever driven across and Nebraska with too much caffeine and not enough sleep? It gets to you, and after a while you start to believe that the world might happen to be both flat and infinite!

Alex Kenivel and EL84 Abuser like this.
  9. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

How can the Earth be flat with hills and mountains.....

:mob

teejoo likes this.
  10. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

The Alto powered monitors are a very long way from FRFR (full range flat response). An otherwise accurate digital amp/cab modeling platform will end up sounding quite different from that platforms output signal amplified through any of Alto's monitors. I believe your assertion that "most guitarists would prefer the sound coming from a Marshall 4 x 12 over the exact same sound coming from an Alto FRFR" to be an accurate statement. Not necessarily because most prefer guitar cab/speaker(s) to FRFR, but rather because the Alto monitors provide a poor representation of the signal sent to them.

It may also be true that more guitarists than not may 'prefer the sound coming from a Marshall 4x12 over the exact same sound coming from' a true FRFR solution. This is understandable as most guitarists are used to hearing themselves play through a guitar amp and guitar cabinet. For those accustomed to hearing themselves through near field monitors, stage monitors, and in-ear monitors, an accurate modeling platform through a truly full range, flat response monitoring system is no different, and far more more versatile.

Audiences are used to hearing mic'd guitar cabs, and scarcely care besides.

Modeling has been used on countless recordings by now. It's the rare exception when this is in any way audible.

There are no cheap FRFR solutions. In truth there are precious few monitors capable of providing full range, flat response, and far fewer capable of maintaining such performance off axis.

This is one of those 'buy once, cry once' scenarios.

---------------------------------------

Sorry for the incomplete post. I'm posting from my phone and accidently posted while scrolling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  11. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Which ones?

12. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

The only monitor that I have practical experience with that is truly full range, flat response is the Atomic CLR. I could not find anything approaching the CLR's performance in any major music equipment retail store.

vtgearhead likes this.
  13. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

Good point. I chose Alto because it was the first brand that came to mind "a true FRFR solution" would have been a better thing for me to write.

14. Miki Dord

Miki Dord Member

Yes dear? ☺i got it in the school (in europe and one from the US state university) you know where people learn things and others tech them. Gee guess you misunderstood what i wrote and pulling out that name doesn't prove a thing regarding issues with lost of c-ca and energy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  15. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

I know this is the gear page and therefore some name calling is de rigeur, but could you guys either knock it off or carry on your conversation via pm please?

Now, about how modeller manufacturers get their models right....

16. Miki Dord

Miki Dord Member

1 you completely twisted what i wrote
    i told you why i don't like to explain something due to this start to look to personal and again you are insulting me directly. Personally i have nothing against you.
    Those were steps for method you don't answer on them like that nor i'm the institution. You can't simply answer on it is due to your oscilloscope measure something. People use tools that cost few 10 000$, work in labs which are expensive and they measure things X times and always compare it. . Listen i don't have nothing against digital music and i told that modeling amps have their place.

Not just amp, drums as well but still they sound fake to me. Anyhow i'm not your enemy, furthermore i spent my life in supporting of the common people, musicians etc. Lot of my friends make electronic music, i had digital amp and will have one again for practice for ''space'' sounds which i might use for recording.
    This is great example why people need to measure X times as well as to have ''controlled group'', in this video is control cake but the principles are the same. By the way i watch YT, i can watch stuff like this even for new guitars but tests A VS B is not adequate for me, sure it can be helpful to some people if they can hear anything on iphone (majority listen on that so difference must be a huge in order to be noticed).
    That much from me. If i made some typing mistakes it is due to i run to finish something and have to answer to one more post latter. cheers and wish you all the best.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    crankyrayhanky likes this.
  17. Miki Dord

Miki Dord Member

truth..well i was trying to be polite, anyhow i gave my honest opinion about that subject - modeling amps, x pages ago. Sorry, yes you have right that is for Private postings but i had to answer it here due to i don't follow that mode. it won't happen again.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  18. jaded1592

jaded1592 Member

This thread was entertaining until it started to make me sad.

Not going to put my 2 cents in because this has already devolved into the usual science vs. religion type discussion.

19. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

Agreed - as is often the case the best posts are right at the start of the thread. Before it turned into the usual name calling, YouTube referencing science vs religion debate.

Here's a picture of a cute kitten to calm everyone down ;-)
    [​IMG]

Miki Dord and Guitardave like this.
  20. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

"Science"

Guitardave, mbenigni and JiveTurkey like this.