How do people like the stock pups in the AV62 RI Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stoob0t, Mar 30, 2008.

1. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I've been really tempted to get hold of one of these to try out, but i cant seem to find one in a shop near me. The pickups look, from the pictures i've seen, to be similar to the ones that were used in the Custom Shop '62 RI's - just wondered how they fair up sound-wise?

If anyone who's playing an AV 62 RI could let me know where the pickups really stand out, and where they might be a little lacking, that'd be a great help! :)

Thank you!

2. supar6

supar6 Member

I had a '62 AVRI Tele that I foolishly sold! The neck pickup was freakin fantastic while the bridge was a little bright for me. Using the neck and bridge pickup together was excellent so I never wanted to swap out the bridge pup. Definitely worth checking out!

3. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

That's the position i use the most, so that's good to hear! I'll have to get hunting around and digging out the change from down the back of the sofa!

4. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

+1

One of the keys to getting the most out of any Telecaster is using the tone knob. I used mine constantly on all different models (and I've got a few, just ask gkoelling). I get great tones out of the bridge p/up on my '62RI's by subtlely working the tone.

For a few $$$ more you could go for a '62RI Thinskin Telecaster (there are a couple of great looking used ones posted on Dave's Guitar site for $1250). In addition to having modern frets and modern wiring they also have Custom Shop p/ups in them.

But hey they all rock...:dude

My AV'62RI's (hope no one is sick of looking at this pic?)

[​IMG]

My AV'62RI Thinskin

[​IMG]

5. Stubee

Stubee Member

I bought a used (2001?) SB AV'62RI Tele a few months ago. It replaced a '98 AV'52RI Tele that my fretting hand couldn't get used to. I've also had a '60s Classic, and still have an ash/maple Tele with Nocaster pups.

I like the AV'62 pickups as much as anything I've used. I really thought the Nocaster neck pup was the best sound possible, but get great tone from the '62. The bridge pup has, kinda surprisingly, become perhaps my favorite setting on this guitar. I find myself playing it more than the other two positions for most stuff, and I'm not a "chickenpicker"; it just sounds good. I dial the tone back into a clean amp a fair bit, less so if overdriven. I find the '62 RI bridge pup no more "icepicky" than any of the others, with the exception of the '60s Classic as that had a bit of "grit" or something to it. The middle position is also very nice & full sounding.

My '62 RI ain't a "thinskin", but a piece of the finish flaked off by the neckplate, and it is really, really thin. I love this guitar.

6. strat6866

strat6866 Member

i dont know if the AVRI have the same pups as the CIJ RI but i found them to be very bright and ice picky.
    swapped them out for Lollars and it is a HUGE improvement.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

If they are anything like the Original Vintage used in the '52RI they'll sound great.

After going through Nocaster, Kinman, Lollar and Barden pups in my Tele the, Original Vintage are the ones that have stood the test of time.

8. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

This is exactly how I feel about mine. I love the neck pickup, I play it 90% of the time. I think the bridge pickup is a touch on the bright side so I bought a Fralin Blues Special a few months ago for it but have yet to put it in. The middle position sounds great as well, it has a nice pop to it.

9. shibby

shibby Member

that black tele!! :AOK:AOK