How do the pro musicians make their money these days? Is it touring only

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
yes you are forgetting the most important part - How much you are making (net income) from each source. - or THE ACTUAL INFORMATION.

You could also go into your costs - but that is another topic - sort of.
ah, i see. no, thanks.
i'm not a politician and this is a public place where i seem to have few friends. i deleted my post; feel free to delete your quote of my post, if you like.

Heinz57Pep

never do you see what 30STM pulls in in total or how the payout is managed per band member. Or what perks they get - or how a licensing deal is structured - or any of the residual songwriting dollars that come in and get divvied up - or even what the fee was to pay Flood for producing and the legal team for their cut of the booty.
Exactly. Nothing but selective information offered up in that "documentary."

fetishfrog

ah, i see. no, thanks.
i'm not a politician and this is a public place where i seem to have few friends. i deleted my post; feel free to delete your quote of my post, if you like.
Each day I get this place less and less.

Splatt, a professional musician for the better part of 40+ years (I think that's correct) comes into a thread and lays out, line by line, various places he's been successful at earning money and thus allowing him to continue to exist as a professional musician, and people gripe about the lack of detail.

Here's my take away from his post. Be diverse. The old ways are gone. Stay out in front of it and get creative. Fast.

I don't expect him or anyone else in this thread to tell me or anyone else how much money they make. Jeez.

Luke

It's pretty easy to figure out the gross of a given concert, or even to look artists up. If a venue holds 1,000 people at $50 each, the gross is $50,000 for the night. After all the crew, transportation and expenses, if the star of the show makes $10,000 that would be a good night IMO.

Rock stars use to be unapproachable, now they have meet and greets to garner more income.

splatt

Each day I get this place less and less.

Splatt, a professional musician for the better part of 40+ years (I think that's correct) comes into a thread and lays out, line by line, various places he's been successful at earning money and thus allowing him to continue to exist as a professional musician, and people gripe about the lack of detail.

Here's my take away from his post. Be diverse. The old ways are gone. Stay out in front of it and get creative. Fast.

I don't expect him or anyone else in this thread to tell me or anyone else how much money they make. Jeez.
yes; approx. 45 years, & counting.

i don't mind discussing this stuff in detail, when & where & for whom i perceive it might prove helpful, somehow, or personally necessary;
i never did & i never will.

Rick Lee

It's pretty easy to figure out the gross of a given concert, or even to look artists up. If a venue holds 1,000 people at $50 each, the gross is $50,000 for the night. After all the crew, transportation and expenses, if the star of the show makes $10,000 that would be a good night IMO.
I dunno about that. A lot of big bands have a min. guarantee and the risk is on the promoter. I wasn't there, but I heard Miley Cyrus couldn't come close to packing the US Airways Area here a few mos. ago and they had huge areas blocked off with tarps. But I bet she got a ton more money for that gig than the actual tix sold would have paid her.

Heritage 80

yes; approx. 45 years, & counting.

i don't mind discussing this stuff in detail, when & where & for whom i perceive it might prove helpful, somehow, or personally necessary;
i never did & i never will.
Here's to another 45! I've always enjoyed your posts. Always insightful and honest, just like your work. And as far as being asked by someone what you income is: bad form and rotten manners on their part.

loudboy

I dunno about that. A lot of big bands have a min. guarantee and the risk is on the promoter. I wasn't there, but I heard Miley Cyrus couldn't come close to packing the US Airways Area here a few mos. ago and they had huge areas blocked off with tarps. But I bet she got a ton more money for that gig than the actual tix sold would have paid her.
Yup - this is the way it works for major acts.

It's up to the promoter to determine a way to make a profit - the band always gets paid.

OTOH, if they don't consistently draw, they'll need to adjust their guarantee, or no promoter will work with them.

spakuloid

Once again - if I ask my NEIGHBORS - any of them - what they made last year - I get an answer. One is a cop - one is a general contractor - a few in high end sales - and one is an exec for a clothing manufacturer that you all know. At nearly ANY neighborhood barbecue - after a few drinks this info just comes out.

Ask a musician what they make and it shuts them right up. I'm not picking on Splatt - I'm just making a point. Musician earnings is somehow this mystical hidden fairy dust. Why that is - you got me. People in sales area ALWAYS talking about money and how much they made on each deal and on and on and on until you have to tell them to talk about golf or something.

Its not meant to be offensive - it is just a point. Normal people USUALLY have no problem answering the question. Musicians - good luck. It's supposed to be some huge mystery.

rsm

The old system is gone (nearly gone, or still going depending on your perspective), new models are emerging however, I think we are in the interim state where the new models are not completely defined. Illegal digital distribution of copyright content has devalued music and made stealing content pervasive. Revenue from selling copies of your copyright content has not been replaced. Technology exists to reduce the illegal distribution of copyright content however, the will to use it is not there, in fact the profit incentive is larger for these companies if they do not proactively protect copyrights of others, and the burden to police the net is on the copyright holder. Follow the money.

An obvious example: How can complete songs, albums, concerts, shows and movies (most/all copyright material) be uploaded to youtube by people who do not own the copyright? How can the copyright owner protect the use/distribution of their content? I'm sure it costs them time and money to do so, which leaves less of both for them to create more content...

Mudder

I'm not in the music business, so no dog in any fight here. Hasn't the development of better tools to DIY your music offered a solid alternative to a music deal with a known entity?

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
some bands have formed their own label and go on tour with good success.

the factor that determines net worth is usually a byproduct of "somebody's" longevity and hard work. some artists see big dividends quickly, but i don't think the vast majority beat the dealer from birth.

in hindsight, a successful portfolio, like one's life, is circumstance rather than a magic bullet.

phil_m

How did this get here? I'm not good at computer.
Gold Supporting Member
Its not meant to be offensive - it is just a point. Normal people USUALLY have no problem answering the question. Musicians - good luck. It's supposed to be some huge mystery.
In my experience, asking someone what they make is generally seen as a social faux pas. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable doing it and unless it was a close friend, I wouldn't divulge that information to someone asking.

splatt

Once again - if I ask my NEIGHBORS - any of them - what they made last year - I get an answer. One is a cop - one is a general contractor - a few in high end sales - and one is an exec for a clothing manufacturer that you all know. At nearly ANY neighborhood barbecue - after a few drinks this info just comes out.

Ask a musician what they make and it shuts them right up. I'm not picking on Splatt - I'm just making a point. Musician earnings is somehow this mystical hidden fairy dust. Why that is - you got me. People in sales area ALWAYS talking about money and how much they made on each deal and on and on and on until you have to tell them to talk about golf or something.

i know you're not picking on me;
however, i think we have very different perceptions about what might constitute a "normal" person.

as i've said, i regularly share this kind of information with people, including at least one of my neighbors.
these are, however, people with whom i'm having real-time interactions:
people whom i can see, and can get some kind of real-world sense of who they are:
do i like them? are they trustworthy, or have they yet earned any of my trust?
would hearing such stuff be appropriate or useful to them?
how might they perceive such "sharing"?
you know; normal, adult stuff, in this age when identity theft, hacking & massively public blabbing get an awful lotta folks into some serious freaking ****, all over the world.

spakuloid

i know you're not picking on me;
however, i think we have very different perceptions about what might constitute a "normal" person.

as i've said, i regularly share this kind of information with people, including at least one of my neighbors.
these are, however, people with whom i'm having real-time interactions:
people whom i can see, and can get some kind of real-world sense of who they are:
do i like them? are they trustworthy, or have they yet earned any of my trust?
would hearing such stuff be appropriate or useful to them?
how might they perceive such "sharing"?
you know; normal, adult stuff, in this age when identity theft, hacking & massively public blabbing get an awful lotta folks into some serious freaking ****, all over the world.

Right - but to the point - not singling you out personally - NOBODY in the music business on the artistic side talks about this AT ALL - unless they are bragging on Cribs. And even that is highly spurious and mostly an ad for the artist.

loudboy

I'm not in the music business, so no dog in any fight here. Hasn't the development of better tools to DIY your music offered a solid alternative to a music deal with a known entity?
Not yet. There are a few exceptions, but it still takes a lot of money and influence to make a hit.

Youtube has taken the place of mailing demos to labels, but at some point, the machine still needs to kick in.

spakuloid

And I agree posting on an internet forum is probably not the best place to do it - but I am talking about the macro issue here. There is a giant void of publicly available information on the cold hard financial facts of what the earning expectation is of the mid level touring band.

rsm

I think it could, but what it also means is many more choices for the potential listener/audience. And while more choice is great, too much of a good thing (too many choices) may make it difficult for people to find what they like, find something "good" (subjectively) or simply take too long so they don't bother to keep looking or look at all?

For an oversimplified example, when I first started exploring single malts :) I tried many; some were great, some were not, some were awful...eventually, I found what I liked and pretty much stick with it for the most part. I certainly did not try everything, I stopped way before that. There are many more bands/musos/songs out there than whisky, not all will be heard.

Who's going to deal with the advertising, marketing, distribution, etc. for you?

Magicpad

And I agree posting on an internet forum is probably not the best place to do it - but I am talking about the macro issue here. There is a giant void of publicly available information on the cold hard financial facts of what the earning expectation is of the mid level touring band.
Check this out if you have a chance.... lots of studies on how a variety of musicians earn their income:

http://futureofmusic.org

Also, I was just pouring money into my guitar playing "hobby" until I took the MCMP. I know there are critics of the program on this forum but I found the majority of the information to be insightful and immediately actionable into my own day-to-day band dealings and music endeavors... of course YMMV:

http://tomhess.net/MusicCareer.aspx

Trending Topics