• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How do U setup your Floyd Rose, not to be so stiff?

major

Hi all, I have a Schecter C1-FR licenced trem, I know it's not the real thing but help me anyway. It stays in tune well, floating, using 3 springs. It's a bear to really use it for vibrato, just so stiff. I tried 2 springs, stringed it up with 9's and it won't stay in tune, goes flat. I like a looser trem arm like the PRS trem system, even my Strat with the 2 pin post and 2 springs works better and stays in tune. Any ideas that would help?

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
+1 They have different strength springs - you need to get the right set. That said have you tried loosening the spring claw and balancing the action against string tension? Are all your contact points lubed well and the plate not worn at the pivots? Licensed base plates tend to be softer than OFR's depending on who the maker is.

major

I went back to GC to see about getting different springs, they say they're all the same tension, the only ones they had we're replacements for fender guitars. I looked at tremsetters etc. even considered replacing the trem with a original FR or something else. I like the guitar, it sounds and plays very well. I'm certain I'm not the only one out there who is had this problem but maybe has a special fix??

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
If you change the gauge of strings, you need to change the springs too. If you had 10s, then put on 9s, you need to add a spring and re-balance it.

GAD

Eagle1

I went back to GC to see about getting different springs, they say they're all the same tension, the only ones they had we're replacements for fender guitars. I looked at tremsetters etc. even considered replacing the trem with a original FR or something else. I like the guitar, it sounds and plays very well. I'm certain I'm not the only one out there who is had this problem but maybe has a special fix??
Like GC would know, you might as well ask the cat.

robbph37

Like GC would know, you might as well ask the cat.
Funny! Sadly it is true. Most of those guys do not have a clue! All they see are dollar bills walking around the store. I have mistakenly gone to the Nashville Tn store looking for certain items and it has been a joke.

s5c6ihLW50

three springs. nearest the neck, 3 in the middle, near the back spaced at 1, 3, and 5 so the springs fan out towards the rear.

like thus:

neck

/|\

tail

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I tried 2 springs, stringed it up with 9's and it won't stay in tune, goes flat.
Screw the claw in as far as possible, if needed, to balance the pressure.
Lighter or fewer springs with more tension applied via stretching them is key.

Trending Topics