How do y'all carry your picks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrpinter, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I saw a number of practices at the NAMM show, and it got my interest a bit engaged. The most common method was just to carry them loose in a pants pocket, but I am wondering if the growing use of more expensive "boutique" picks is changing that. I used to stick them into my guitar strings, and just carry them in the case with me like that. Occasionally I'd lose some picks that way, and it was no big deal - I usually had a few extras in my front pocket. But now when I go out my picks go in this little tin, with a folded up credit card stuck in on top to keep them from rattling. How about you guys?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnh and Slevin like this.
  2. WillLane

WillLane Member

1 in hand, 1 in pocket, the rest in a pick holder mounted to the pboard. C:

sodapopinski likes this.
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Levi's on sale, Fender picks in the watch pocket, slide in the left front pocket. Really can't imagine spending what I've seen for some of these custom picks.

4. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I use the .88 tortex picks so I just keep a package in the compartment of each case. If I used more expensive picks, I'd probably keep them in a tin like you do and keep that in the case of whichever guitar I was using.

joealba likes this.
  5. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I always keep a Pearly Gates Screamer in my V-Picks leather keychain pouch. The original snap wore out quickly, so I installed more of a heavy-duty snap in its place. Now it never flops open accidentally, which was a chronic issue with the original.

The rest of my picks reside in an Altoids tin, dual-locked to the side of my Pedaltrain.

PinkStrat likes this.
  6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

small pocket of my jeans

7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I use the Blue Chip pick box. It's small and easily slides into my pocket and under my amp handle at gigs.

8. the tourist

the tourist Member

In my wallet behind my driver's license. In the coin pocket of my jeans. That's about it.

macmax77 likes this.
  9. chiller_instinct

chiller_instinct Member

5th pocket in my Levi's. There's plenty of room for multiple picks.

10. tatoi

tatoi Member

11. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Ditto on the 5th Levi pocket, wallet pocket, Dr Song guitar strap pocket, and Uncle Frank looks after the rest!

[​IMG]

. likes this.
  12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

One or two V Picks Farley on my key chain in a V Picks pouch. Several in an empty pill bottle from the drug store kept in my guitar case. A couple in my practice area. They absolutely won't stay between the strings.

13. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I throw 4 or 5 picks in each guitar case.

jackrussel likes this.
  14. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I keep a couple of Dunlop Nylon 1mm picks in the coin pocket of my Levi's.

I also stash one between the pickguard and body of my Fender guitars; I can grab it easily if I drop my pick. That's saved my tail a couple of times.

[​IMG]

chiller_instinct likes this.
  15. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I keep all my picks in the purple velvet bag Crown Royal comes in. Strip of gaffers tape folded to be sticky on both sides stuck to the mic stand with a row of picks at the ready

tdump likes this.
  16. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I like to keep mine under the couch, rugs, or washing machine - or so my wife tells me.

17. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I always use the little coin pocket in my jeans, and I actually buy pants with the pick holder in mind, ha ha.

But I get mad at myself if I forget to put a little bag of picks in the guitar case, too. Otherwise I too often get stranded without at gigs, and have to borrow something lame from someone.

But hopefully and generally, I never go anywhere without a little pocket full of picks. Sometimes I change pants and forget, though.

Sometimes I forget to wear pants.

18. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

...being serious, I just throw a bunch in all my cases and set a few on my lap steel stand when I get to the gig so its quick and handy if I need one. I was mostly finger picking for a few years and now getting back to about 50/50 and finally just started trying to palm a pick so I can go back and forth when I need. There is an art to that I haven't quite nailed but getting there.

19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

From the Cliff Claven Useless Information Dept:

Magicians who palm coins practice so much they develop the muscles inside their palms that essentially grab the coin. So the more you do that with a pick, the muscles in the palm of your hand will change. To hurry that process up, magicians carry coins in their palms throughout the day. The best ones don't really have to bend their hand or cup it to hold a coin, the muscles are so developed. So just keep a pick in the palm of your hand during the day. After a month, it will be easier. As a side benefit, you'l be able to do coin tricks, lol.

Fatboy666 and Jason Lynn like this.
  20. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Hey that's not a bad idea. I'm getting there and oddly what I've found is it seems to be easier for me to just cup it loosely. The real trick is learning how to time the space when getting the pick back into action.