How do you actually screw down a reverb bag?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Mar 19, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'm working on this super and the guy who had it before me screwed the verb right to the cabinet. He used some rubber feet to protect it from vibrating too much.

I have a bag but I'm not sure how this is really supposed to be done.

Am I supposed to have a piece of cardboard in there as a cushion between the tank and the bottom of the cab?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, there is supposed to be a piece of cardboard with Masonite side strips which the reverb tank is screwed to, then the whole lot goes in the bag, and the bag is screwed down to the bottom of the amp at either end. It can be a right pain getting the screws through the bag and into the original holes in the amp, BTW. It was easy when they did it originally since there were no holes - they just did it with a power screwdriver and didn't care where the holes went!

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

When screwing the bag down,I use a washer so the screw doesn't rip a hole in the vinyl. The earlier blackface amps didn't use them and later silverface amps did.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hmm,
    I can make the card board absorption pad, not sure what to do about the masonite. What does the masonite strips do?

Thanks,

BTW,
    really good idea about the washer.

5. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

The masonite strips move the cardboard farther away from the springs for more clearance . You can use appropriately sized wood strips if you don't have masonite. I prefer the wood as it holds the screws better.
    Dave C

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The Masonite strips run along the long edges of the tank, under and the same width as the side flanges. The cardboard is stapled to them (I think, maybe glued as well). I'm not sure if they're for spacing or just to give the screws something more substantial to go into... maybe both.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

O.K.
    I got everything but one step clear.

I make a card board insert.
    I add some masonite strips to match the flanges (two outside lips)
    I put the whole thing in a bag. Do I screw the whole thing together or just slide it all into a bag? I have 4 wood screws with all kinds of rubber bumpers (note sure what to do with these.....)
    I screw the back to the bottom of the amp (Where and how?)

Thanks,

8. Dave C

Fender uses 4 very short wood screws to attach the masonite/cardboard to the flanges of the tank. The tank with now attached masonite/cardboard assy and send/return cables is slid into the bag , each end of the bag is fastened to the bottom of the cab with woodscrew and washer . Fold the open end of the bag over to double the material before screwing down that end. Hope this helps.
    Dave C

9. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

perfect, thanks,
    I wonder where this guy got all these rubber grommets he put over the screws?

weird.

Thanks again,
    I would never have figured this out without taking one apart

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Not sure if this information is of any use to anyone, but when I did my latest amp build I screwed the tank into a piece of masonite with 8 nuts/bolts and used velcro to attach the home-brew bag to the amplifier. It works like a champ (actually its louder than a champ, but that's another story) and doesn't look any less cheesy than the way Fender does it. Putting a piece of cardboard in there strikes me as being too cheap.

DJ

11. Dave C

DJ , I like the velcro idea , the cardboard is Fenders idea and I have always thought it was pretty crude as well but it does the job as they say.
    Dave C