• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How Do You Advance in Todays World Without "Pro" Gear?

petros

...I see Squiers and Epiphones on TV all the time.
Playing through what? AIR?

Do you even know if the guitars have severe expensive mods? Set up by pro guitar techs for hundreds of dollars?

And TV is often about lipsyncing, pretend playing, editing, etc. So it's a very poor example. You might as well say someone in a video was using a Squire, so I'm sure you can get a great "pro sound" from it.

JeffK

OP, your premise is flawed. Lots of great gear out there today at the "entry level" pricing. Good enough that you can get to practicing, performing, etc.

That's not to say that high quality gear isn't desirable, but it's not going to be the magic bullet to..."making it"... or whatever. Talent will shine through.

Then you don't understand the entire premise.

Given two players of equal talent, top shelf gear makes THE DIFFERENCE between who sounds more impressive to an audience. The player who can't afford the expensive gear that the other player has will be degraded in some manner for this reason. It's like hitting a brick wall unless you have $$$$$. I believe this is a cultural phenomenon that's been created for various reasons.
Yes I do understand the premise and disagree with it. Two players of equal talent playing will both sound impressive to the audience.

But hey, if you think you need better gear to advance, then spend away.

petros

Uh... ever heard of a guy called Jack White?
Jack White was an exception. He comes from a working class family. He had determination and drive. He got what gear he could manage to get. He makes it based on sheer soul. He's ONE exception. And the low-fi approach is not respected in all genres. Plus, like Jimmy Page, before going national he had the support of very expensive recording equipment from a record label. I realize he didn't start out that way, but there's no way that he represents what most of us in the lower socio-economic classes can expect to accomplish.

petros

It's really not that much to get decent gear. As a a kid I worked in a movie theater (minimum wage) and saved enough for a Les Paul Studio (I swapped out pickups) and old Mesa Boogie...
Unbelievable. You're talking about "pro" level gear that can easily cost over a grand like it's something a kid working at a movie theater can buy. How unrealistic can you get?

Z_Zoquis

If you think $1400 or $1500 is some outrageous expense to have to pay for a rig for performing live I don't know what to tell you. I mean you can get a pretty good acoustic 6 string for a few hundred dollars and busk on the street corner right? There's a certain cost involved in performing with an electric guitar - there's not really any way around it. If you can't afford that, you might want to try something different? Or maybe rent some gear till you can afford to buy?

Unbelievable. You're talking about "pro" level gear that can easily cost over a grand like it's something a kid working at a movie theater can buy. How unrealistic can you get?
Apparently Yer Blues did work in a movie theatre and buy that gear.

I'm not sure what your actual point is...

petros

I'm not so sure that expensive guitars, amps, etc. are required to advance. PA gear is another matter. There you get what you pay for.
And I guess the expensive sound reinforcement equipment is just a given -- as if all venues these days have the right kind of equipment to make a $300 modeling amp sound phenomenal on stage.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Jack White was an exception. He comes from a working class family. He had determination and drive. He got what gear he could manage to get. He makes it based on sheer soul. He's ONE exception. And the low-fi approach is not respected in all genres. Plus, like Jimmy Page, before going national he had the support of very expensive recording equipment from a record label. I realize he didn't start out that way, but there's no way that he represents what most of us in the lower socio-economic classes can expect to accomplish.
You are so off base.

Being a great guitarist is only a part of the equation. Your gear is an extremely minimal part of it. The major part of the equation is YOU--the performer, the creative soul, the person people love to work with, the person comfortable in his own skin AND with his instrument, whatever it happens to be.

Z_Zoquis

So what do you want petros? You want gear to be provided to you free of charge by some benevolent soul? I mean the gear is necessary if you want to play live, and somebody has to pay for it. You can do it for a relatively modest amount, but there's a basic requirement that it be good enough to stay in tune and not fall apart and that it be able to be heard over drums in venues the size you want to play or in rehearsals.

petros

...yes, everything costs money. It really comes down to what your priorities are to an extent. Of course, there are some people in the place where their budgets are so tight, they have practically no discretionary income. In that case, no rig will really be cheap enough. But, overall, the guitar is still one of the more democratizing instruments around. Actually that's the one thing I love about music. It's still the one area where there can be genuine interaction between people from different social classes, and in the end, the money a person paid for their rig isn't the important thing.
Could you contradict yourself anymore?

And to say the guitar is "democratized" as an instrument is relevant how exactly? --You mean it can sound like a toy coming out of a box or it can have a refined tone based on technology designed to make sound more musically aesthetic and people will invariably love it just the same? BS!

Last edited:

petros

...the idea that not spending several thousand $ on a guitar & amp sets you up for failure is ludicrous.

Yes, a musicians tools can limit or elevate his or her performance but I believe that, assuming a certain level of quality, the tools are less important than how they are applied.
But you fail to recognize that in the absence of having the opportunity to obtain the tools you don;t even get the chance to learn how to apply them. The quality that you are referring to is indeed the "pro" level for players after they have reached a certain point. In the absence of the money to buy the "pro" gear you hit a brick wall.

dallasblues

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. Are we mad because we can't afford the really awesome stuff we want? Are we worried that we'll never achieve success without the really awesome gear we want?

Nevets

I knew lots of guys when I was a teenager with brand new Les Pauls and Fender Twins that their parents bought for them. None of them made it. The one guy I know who did become somewhat successful played a Mexican Strat and still does.

RRfireblade

Music is artistic expression. Some need a collection of expensive sable and assorted brushes to do the job while others paint with their fingers. Doesn't matter as long as your vision is realized with the tool you choose.

We'll...slash realized before afd that his guitar was crap...so he replaced it...serious musicians and rock stars realize they can't enter an expensive studio with crap gear

That said...gear that is not crap isn't boutique...you can get a lot for 1-2k...

Bottom line...joe bonamassa will sound better on a walmart special starter kit than I will with a dr z and a Collings custom guitar

Trending Topics