How do you all approach talking down pawn shop purchases?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thecomposinator, Aug 6, 2013.

1. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

I didn't know where to post this exactly, but I spent most of the TGP time in this forum section, so I thought I'd post here.

Do any of you have a tactic or way of approaching making deals in person at pawn shops? I've got a lot of experience with TGP and Craigslist with negotiations, but not a lot in person.

So what do you all think about when you see a possible deal but want to negotiate?

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

people still go to pawn shops?

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Just ask them if they can do better. He who names the first price loses, and they've already done that! At worst they'll eat the tax for you.

McBride's is a pretty badass pawn shop.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Oh, and don't do the "That's how much it costs new!" or "That's more than it costs new!"

If that is the case, ask them to look it up. Say, do you have any idea how much this costs new? Don't piss them off, it won't work in your favor. Unless you get a cool clerk, which is rare.

5. Tomis17

Tomis17 Member

I would ask them if they have a sale going on. If not, ask if they could knock a percentage off. It will have to be a compromise between you and the shop but most places I go to will know 10% off.

6. msowl61

msowl61 Member

Exactly, just make an offer and see what they say. Having comparable options always helps if it's cheaper, and ultimately be prepared to walk away, they can smell it.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

this and only this;

you can only haggle if you're OK with not buying it.

8. scolfax

scolfax Member

+1.

Also, haggling is an art. You have to be able to feel comfortable in a (conversational) situation that most people wouldn't.

9. harpinon

harpinon Member

In about any store (including a $40k truck I bought) I simply say
    "I am willing to pay $X for said item" and that's it.
    No haggles, no discussions. I find that sales people prefer NOT to get into arguments.

Its really simple. YOU have a top price and THEY have a bottom price. You throw the pitch and they can say yes or no. It works pretty well and I have never had anyone get mad at me. Mind you...don't lowball too much on an item you really want.
    Be realistic and make it a one number offer. If you budge an inch, they will know they have the upper hand and may not look at you as a serious buyer.

10. JaminJuno

JaminJuno Member

I've had some success with clerks that are a little clueless by telling them I restore old guitars. I find a guitar I'm interested in and then point out a few issues and make them out to be a bigger deal than they are. Tell them there's structural or major fret work that needs doing if you can find something that doesn't look quite right. Scratchy pots or dodgy wiring can sound much worse than they really are. Doesn't always work, but I've picked up a nice old Japanese 12 string for half price that badly needed a setup and some good discounts on a few electrics that were just a little neglected.

11. willatkinson

willatkinson Member

Local shops will work with you if you work with the. My local guitar shop gives me 10% just because they have gotten to know me and I buy there instead if online.

12. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I try and bundle together. If I can find 2 items, I'll ask about the first one, compare it to similar items, then I offer a lower price. They usually counter offer. Then I motion to the second item I haven't previously discussed with them. Then I make a bundle offer for both. Works fairly well, sales guys appreciate offers rather than just casually browsing. Play it cool, always be friendly and polite.

13. onemind

onemind Member

There is so much information out there on the market value of just about anything that both parties should be well informed about actual value...I'd expect the professional (can you call a pawn broker that?) would especially have researched going prices. So offer on the low side of what you know is reasonable and be firm. Walk if you must. Sadly the best deals are ones where one party was taken advantage of..there's a point where low-balling becomes almost predatory (IMHO)

14. mindphaser

mindphaser Senior Member

put your rolex in your pocket before you walk into the pawnshop - don't park the jag in front of the shop

don't spend a lot of time trying the guitar out or make the shop jump through hoops to get you set up

a lot of pawnshops have codes on the price tags indicating how much they have invested in the item - often these codes are extremely easy to figure out

always try the instrument out with a bad cable amp etc - a lot of times employees - not owners - are looking for a reason to discount an item

politely explain why an instrument is not worth what the shop thinks it is

use cash

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

My 2 strategies are to find a flaw or defect that might affect value (example: blown out lights in a rack mount power strip) and second, I just make a quick offer, " will you take $x for it?"
    Simple yes or no. Usually, I just offer 12%-15% below. I am only interested in buying things that seem priced right (like a wah for $45 or a MIM Strat under $300) and I won't buy if they won't come down at least a smidge.

And then I get 'em with the kicker... I pay with my Discover card which gives me 2% cash back and charges them the highest merchant rate.... Like sticking them with a PayPal fee.
    :stir

16. thecomposinator

Thanks for all the ideas! I thought this thread would be lame and I'd get a lot of TGP sarcasm, but it's nice to see how everyone approaches these types of venues. I'm headed in today and see if I can get a bit of a discount, we'll see how it goes!

17. edkoppel

edkoppel Member

Negotiating should be fun, if you think of it as a game, you will be much more inclined not to give in.

a few techniques that could help you:

1. Flinching - Let's say you go into a pawn shop and you find a guitar that you love, even if the price is clear as day, ask the guy behind the counter (in that section, because he is the one who is authorized to negotiate on such items) how much it is. Then when he tells you the price, you exlcaim,
    "$____!!!".
    "Wow, I really want this guitar but I don't think I could do the $____ on it. "
    Then say something like, "She is pretty nice though..."

At this point, try and get into friendly conversation with the guy at the counter. Ask if he plays guitar. If he does ask him if he's in a band or ever was in a band. If so, ask what kind... Basically make small talk where you are getting him to like you and break down the barrier of he's a salesman you are the customer.

Then come back to the guitar and say something like, "are you sure you couldn't come down on that price a little?"

and go from there.

2. The Nibble - OK this one is good if you want more than one item. For this to work, you may need to pay full price, or close to full price on something. Then when you are about to pay, you grab the other item and say something like "if you'll thrown in this guitar pedal for $___ (half the price), then I'm willing to go ahead with this guitar too"

3. As was stated before, always offer much less than you are willing to pay. This leaves room for 2 things, 1. you might just get it for that amount, and 2. If you let him negotiate you UP, then he feels like he won! But in reality, you got it for exactly how much you were hoping for.

4. Again, as was stated above, always be ready to walk away. If you get to a point where you are only say, $10 away from each other and he won't budge, you can hit him with, "alright, well it looks like we're gonna let $10 come between us today. Thank you anyway."
    Then a couple things might happen, A. He could say "I guess not" and let you walk out. B. He could say, "Hold on a minute, ok I'll take the $___ offer" or C. You could walk to the door and then turn around and say "Ok, I would be willing to do it for $____ if you would be willing to throw in that (whatever) too"

5. Higher Authority - This last one is good if its a slightly higher priced item. Let's say you are negotiating a guitar and the pawn shop won't budge from $500 and you are at $375. And you have tried everything else and nothing is working... You can try the Higher Authority technique.

Basically you would get to the end of the negotiation and say something like, "Well, I really do want that guitar, but I told my wife I wasn't going to spend over $400 today. Let me go home and talk with her and see if she can budge from that amount."
    Now remember, you were just at $375, so the Pawn Shop dude now feels like he is gaining some ground. So he might come back at you with "OK if you could do $425 today, then I would go for it"

Now, it's not your bottom price you were hoping to pay, but you just made $75 in 2 minutes with that technique.

Ok, well good luck.
    If you want to read up on all this stuff, I highly recommend checking out a book called "Power Negotiation" by Roger Dawson.

18. scolfax

scolfax Member

I do that when I don't have the energy to haggle. It's not a recipe for getting the best deal but it is for getting the transaction over with quickly.

Right, that's the end result of this approach - no hard feelings. If you want the best price you have to be willing to get them closer to the pissed spectrum.

19. thecomposinator

Thanks for the advice! I might try that book. I have always avoided those types of situations but want to try to embrace them because I like pawn shopping so much.

BTW, I did just buy that Ross flanger. They wanted 80 and I just said I had 70 cash and that's my limit, and they made some faces and we talked about it and they let it go for that price. Perfect condition, USA Made, late 70's model I think. I'm pretty happy about the purchase. Not too shabby for being 5 states away visiting my inlaws!

20. Seance

Seance Member

Pawn shops vary a lot these days. Mostly due to the internet. Some pawn shops
    look up items on eBay or Craigslist and then price their thing on the upper end of that.
    Maybe they want you to haggle them down. Maybe they don't.

The main weapon you have at your disposal is the ability to walk away.
    And some pawn shops are immune to that. So... good luck!