How do you all feel about Yamaha electric guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jericho-79, Jun 5, 2019.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have one of the pacifica teles and like it alot.

2. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I agree about the AES, but not the Pacifica. Always thought those AES models were all ugly as sin. To each their own, I guess.

The guitar teacher that I took my first lessons from played an SG2000 from the late 70s or early 80s. Those look good and sound better.

I've played two Revstars at GC: one was phenomenal, and the other was... meh. If I remember correctly, even the "meh" one played well... just didn't sound nearly as good as the other one.

Some of the Pacifica tele clones from a while back sound excellent.

3. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

The general message I see is “good for the price” which is probably fair. I have SA2200 which is not a budget guitar by any stretch though picked up 2nd hand mint for well less than $1000. Here the odd thing - it’s beautifully finished , lovely ebony fretboard, good electronics etc BUT, can’t say I actually enjoy playing it - my Gibson’s and Fenders (OK, my strats a Grosh so exceptional) just feel and play so much better that I just don’t play it much. Beautiful to look at, but..

4. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I picked up a new Yamaha A5R Dreadnaught acoustic, made in Japan and it's a wonderful instrument.

TA22GT and jordans0nly like this.
  5. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

My response was not directed at @Yamaha 350 it was answering the OP's question "how I felt about Yamaha Electric guitars" My post to @Yamaha 350 was a consoling gesture knowing I subjected him to my post and hurting his tiny feelings! LOL Cheers!!!

JoeInOttawa likes this.
  6. JeffK

JeffK Member

Back in the 90's I had one like this, only transparent blue (not my pic):
    [​IMG]

It was a nice instrument, but it didn't suit the music I was doing at the time, so I traded it away. I kinda wish I had it back, or at least could play it once more.

Pidgin English and bluescube like this.
  7. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I will be curious to see what new developments come out of the new Yamaha Guitar Group which is integrated with Line 6. I'm hoping they come out with a new Yamaha based Variax line with new tech in it.

8. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

My first guitar was a simple black Yamaha. Probably paid $150 for it back in '86.

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Their basses are generally pretty great too. Especially outside the US, Yammies are HUGE in the bass world

[​IMG]

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

11. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

Versatility in tone is on a guitar-by-guitar basis. Some guitars just cover more ground in terms of range of tones they provide. I think almost all the comments in this thread are about Yamaha as a company and the products that result: Generally speaking, Yamahas are a fantastic buy.

I think a Pacifica is a great option for you. If it were me, I'd go for this one:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/pacifica/pac_300.html

in fact, now that I'm reading specs for the PAC311H, I'm kind of blown away. It's got a humbucker in the bridge position (for some of the more "rock" style songs in your repertoire) and a P90 in the neck if you need something single coil yet still strong. It's got locking tuners an alder body and a rosewood fretboard for about $350. Damn, that's about the price of a Squier but better specs. I'm almost talking myself into one now.

superstratjunky likes this.
  12. awp

awp Member

I have a Yamaha SJ550 built in the 80's that was my primary guitar for 25 years. It only lost its place as my #1 after my wife bought me a strat for a birthday several years ago. The Yamaha isn't going anywhere. I still pull it out to play and I actually think it records better than the strat

13. BoringPostcards

BoringPostcards Member

Wow. I’m familiar with his gypsy swing work with the Rosenbergs and others. I have never heard him play like this.
    He’s one hell of a guitar player.

aliensporebomb and big mike like this.
  14. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Had an SA2000 in the 80s, loved it, sold it. :facepalm
    I was young and thought I needed the money ...
    got a super rare SF600 in a trade, kind of Yamaha's answer to the IBZ Musician, perfect guitar, but not my thing - so I passed it on to a buddy who still treasures it.
    [​IMG]
    (not my pic)

but recently I found me a stunning SA 2200, good as new, and she's a keeper ! :love:
    not necessarily the kind of semi you would play the blues on, late at night in a cheap bar - I have my trusty Tokai for that, which has all the mojo and then some. :JAM
    The SA is a precision instrument through and through, clear, detailed tone, superb pots, fine split tones, perfect intonation all over the neck, even I succeed at playing some more complex chords - she's probably wasted on me and would rather be an accomplished jazzer's or fusion player's dream, so what ... :dunno

bottom line :
    highly recommended, but specific.
    make sure you know what you'll get, and then consider yourself lucky !
    for vintage vibe, maybe better look elsewhere.

sorry if it's not about the exact guitars mentioned in the OP, but there's so little Yamaha talk these days, I figured another opinion can't hurt.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

15. Bhobb

Bhobb Member

I owned an SA 500 (335 copy) for years. Made in Indonesia but the workmanship was outstanding and it played like a dream. One of those 'wish I'd never sold it" guitars.

16. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

High dollar Pacificas are madein a factory I think they own in Taiwan. And I guess you and others over look them. And the custom shop stuff that can be made. :(:oops:

17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Right? He's awesome at the Django stuff, but his fusion chops are badass.

BoringPostcards likes this.
  18. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

First of all here is the problem with Yamaha. The 60's stuff is quality. But ugly so people complain about the look. And think vintage Japan and Teisco or tesico quality. Some one found the old Strat style and asked what it was at the Epiphone club. I told him and said cork sniffers love the old Yamaha's too. He thought some one cut up a guitar to look like that. And it was ugly. And I lied and was crazy. No cork sniffer would like that stuff. because of looks quality it is not. It a hunk of junk and hot garbage.:(o_O

Now Yamaha is my second favorite brand. Samick or Greg Bennett from samick is my first. Westone, Electra is third. Giannnini guitars is 4th. rondo music is 5th.

Every old or new Yamaha is quality. Even the ugly ones. They get over looked. The semi hollows are great guitars. Scott Baio played one on Happy Days. The 80's brought some great high dollar guitars that were expensive. most were sold in other country's and some in America. And are not well known. And are judged by the cheap Pacificas. And that is the standerd for quality.:(

They will say I found an old Yamaha is it anygood? Most will say the cheap Pacificas are generally so so I would or I would pass. Looks cool though. Some will say my cheap Pacifica is great so go for it. I will say they can't be judged by a budget guitar. Some will chim in that is what they mostly make even in the old days. You tell them different and how old Yamaha is they are shocked or call you a lier and say budget brand only.:rolleyes:

They good stuff in the 80's was not well known. The old guitars looked like something no one wanted. The Pacifica cheap is all they are seem to be known for. people will say Squire Strat is much better quality? :eek::dunno:facepalm:confused:hide2:nuts:nuts:nuts:nuts:nuts:nuts:rolleyes2:

They make different models then you never see them again. A lot of discontinued models. No brand recondition. No famous artist to endorse them but a few. And mostly in other country's. Plus Yamaha has their hat in too many things. They make motor cycles, pre fab houses, pre packadge food, 4 wheelers, and every thing else.

In the 80's they had KeyTars, Synthesizers, and brass insteruments. Most every thing is not sold in America, get over looked, not well known, discontinued models, no artist recondition, too many products they produced at once, ugly quality vintage guitars, and are mostly known for their budget Strat copy. That just about sums them up. :crazy:cry:

What could they do to the Yamaha music department to get respectlike Gibson, Fender, Epiphone, PRS and Squire?:dunno

19. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I have two Pacifica USA models, as well as four of the higher end models from the 90's. I like the way they wire the pickups so that all 5 strat positions are hum cancelling...

20. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Does Yamaha have its own guitar factories still (did they ever?) or are they contracted out?