• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How do you approach solo on 1 b3 2 b2...

vhollund

...without sounding like downwards half step blocks and ...without going minor blues.

?

I'm curius as to if you might have an approach to subs that has a good melodic movement to it

We can also talk about 1 6 2 5 turnarounds in general and whatever formula of chord changes /subs /intervals you use/insert to get from one place to another.

Last edited:

vhollund

Yes that would work well as subs against 1 b3 2 b2 1

I've also seen iii bVl7 ii V as turn around (in darn that dream a.o.)

Ok Here's a real nice one for ya :

optional : e on top all trough

Em7b5 Bm11 D9b5%3 C#m7b5

VI ii V 17

Last edited:

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
When I solo on that I'm aware the fundamental harmonic progression is I,VI, II, V or III, VI, II, V. There are a number of substitutions available that simply create 'a disguised cycle of fifths(or fourths if you will)'.
It depends on the context but in some situations you are free to change up the turnaround whenever and however you want according to taste. The quality of the chords can vary wildly, in your case the b3 could be min7, 7, or maj7. What's on the sheet music might not matter, especially if you are playing solo, duo, or trio.

vhollund

Yes, totally. It's a bit of a gamble. A soloist might not want it to be overly coloured backing, but... maybe he does ..depends who he is.

What I'm looking for in the subs is what it always was:
A simple way to acces complexe harmonic extensions and interesting voicings.

Baminated

vaughan - i came across that when trying to come up w/stuff on coming home baby, in which the i was minor

i found that using phrases on two strings moving from lower neck position to higher positions per chord was the easiest to conceive/apply without sounding too cut/paste

So i did all dominant pentatonics except for the i

so in Gmi - we'd have Bb7, A7, Ab7. G-7

i started on strings 1 & 2, with 3 to 4 note phrases per key center, so say start on Bb dom pent in 6th (fretboard) position / 1st pent shape, then A7 in 7th pos (2nd shape), Ab7 in 8th pos (3rd shape), Gmi pent in 10th pos (4th shape)

amstrtatnut

Hers a simple idea. Play notes of chord but resolve to new chord tones up instead of down. Also the root is strong enough to just stay on 1any time during excursion.

Trending Topics