How do you approach you guitar collection

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whiper11, Apr 12, 2016.

Your guitar buying philosophy - whats your style?

1. Own one premium guitar - ie custom shop or custom made

14.2%
  2. Own a couple of good guitars - ie amercian standard

50.9%
  3. Own four or five middle of the road guitars - ie MIM, PRE SE

12.3%
  4. Own many different guitars - is Squier etc

22.6%
  1. Whiper11

Whiper11 Member

Just wondering really. I have an opportunity coming up where I can spend some serious coin on a guitar for a milestone so it will be a keeper.

Tossing up between a strat custom shop model or alternately for the same cash I could get two different flavours of guitar.

It would be interesting to know how everyone approaches these things.

2. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Quietly. I prefer to sneak up on it.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I don't really need to approach my collection, because I'm surrounded by guitars & bass guitars.
    Rickenbacker & G&L basses on my right
    Fender bass on the far wall, BC Rich Warbeast & Fender Stratocaster by the television.
    Fender Rumble 15 on the floor to my left
    Peavey Vypyr VIP on a stand to my right
    H&K tube head & Markbass cabinet are the only items in kitchen, well besides all the tools I use for tinkering on stuff.

rsm likes this.
  4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

What about a combination? I own a couple really nice guitars, and several middle of the road models.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 workhorse electrics and a well worn Taylor acoustic. Not sure it is a collection.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

If I had to start all over again, and buy my first guitar, it would be a Comanche:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/comanche/index.asp

[​IMG]

It's got humbucking capabilities built right in & the controls let you have a wide variety of sounds.

"CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTBâ„¢ system), mini-toggle expander switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together."

Stratburst70 likes this.
  7. Brian N

Brian N Member

I'm not a collector, I'm a musician.

You can only play one guitar at a time; make it a good one. That doesn't always mean the one with the highest price tag. Which option will bring you the most enjoyment? Will you feel pigeonholed by having just one expensive hunk of wood, and need the variety? Or will you have too many middle-of-the-road axes and wish you had just one you could really bond with?

shane8, metallica86, SPROING! and 3 others like this.
  8. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

I'm not sure where I fall. I have a PRS DGT, and 2 USA Hamers-- a Special and a Diablo.

9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

From one side or the other. Sometimes from the couch. If my guitar is under the bed then I have to walk around and get on the floor to get it out.

SackvilleDan likes this.
  10. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

You forgot the option "When I buy, I buy what I like - i.e., many premium, good and middle of the road guitars, all being from the U.S. and overseas."

pbmw, BADHAK, shane8 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I wasnt sure how to vote. Some that are comparable in price and quality to the 'american models' answer, but my middle of the road ones have been upgraded substantially. But sortof says how I approach things. I am happy to buy something that is perfect off the shelf, or put some work (I do all myself) to bring something up to sweetness. I dont have anything with any objective issues, eg. bad action, tuning stability.

I do admittedly have too many, I really only 'need' 3 - HB, a filtertrony, and a p90 model.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I don't fit on your poll. I don't have very many, but all are small batch builder guitars but one.

13. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I approach it as a set of tools. I haven't always done that. If you fall into a deal, you fall into a deal. Flip for profit? Yes, I've done that. 19 guitars. Never meant to own that many, and I've actually sold off a few. Currently mostly playing Gibson, G&L and Fender. I'm much more particular about vintage amps amps than guitars. A well built modern instrument is fine by me.

14. RJLII

RJLII Member

I started out with a couple good guitars and a couple MOR guitars. They were all stolen. Thank goodness I was insured. I decided going forward I'd get all pro quality stuff. I'm blessed with six wonderful instruments now. The way things have gone up I'd be hard pressed to replace any of them.

pressure likes this.
  15. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I did the collector guitar thing back in the 70's and 80's... Old Gibsons, Fenders, Rics, Ibanez's, etc. Then one day I realized I had 18 guitars that needed to be played - not stacked in their cases. At practice time all I did was switch guitars. So I sold all the really nice stuff (I know - it would be worth a mint now), and kept 2 to play.

Here I am 35 plus years later, and I have over 12 again - mostly in pieces or being rebuilt. I think I have 4 in playing order, and I only play 2. Time to finish up my projects, and sell again.

16. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

I think this is me, except I definitely need to sell some off (have to figure out how to do this without any regret). With over 40 guitars, it's ridiculous!

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

My guitar collecting is like playing the lotto. I have no idea if I might score and when. It's all random for me.

I buy most of my guitars at pawnshops. I patiently wait until the right guitar at the right price comes along.

If it's a good quality guitar and sounds,plays, feels right and is at the right price, it's coming home.

I'll buy like this for a long while until I got a nice group of guitars, and then I weed out the one's that just don't feel like lifers.

I sold off over 27 guitars last year and added almost 1/2 of that in other guitars I picked up.

I really like not knowing when I'm going to bring a really cool new guitar into the fold.

There's never any letdown this way because of being unable to find the right guitar after a long search.

18. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Member

Down to one good quality Strat, two "mid range" acoustics and a cheap bass. Just use the bass for recording. I would like to find a nice humbucker hollow body and then I would consider my "collection" complete.

19. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Fade to the sound of one hand clapping. Hilarious, you totally beat me to it!

You and I are like two minds without a single thought. Guitars are tools and we have serious work to do... this is true.
    But they are also toys. We also gotta play!!

OP: I doubt I am the first to say this but I recommend you find the largest hole in our current tool box and fill it. What do you NOT have now? If that makes sense, you are on your way.

If that was intended as humor, I will ask you to ignore the rest below - but please, in either instance you must either flag your sarcasm or curb your disrespect. You insult yourself if you push this false distinction. Why? :facepalm

If collectors are not musicians, I'll ask this: Would you say that Steve Howe is not a musician simply because you can hear him confess to being a collector? Do you know how many acclaimed artists are also collectors?

Folks: Let's try a new and more constructive approach. We have Collectors who are either Players or DisPlayers. That's a pair of Mutually Exclusive Partitions. Ponder the power of that, please. We also know that there exist Players who do not collect and non=players who also do not collect. Amazing, eh? So the set of all collectors overlkaps the set of Players, but not completely. Can you Zen with Ven Diagrams?

DisPlayers are a rare and thankfully quiet batch of folks who collect but do not play. These folks tends to buy Corts simply to display an autograph. Some (and I mean a few) take really nice guitars off the market and to them I say :nono but again, they are rare.

To the point, most collectors are players, musicians and acclaimed artists. A musician who uses guitars would know this.

Me, I am just a Guitar Ownership Enthusiast :beer are we cool now?

20. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

All of the above! TAG, Thorn, Lentz, Crook, but also Gibsons, Taylors, Gretsch, Godin, and then Epiphones, Eastmans, and homebuilts... same with amps. Carr, Swart, but also Vox, Fender, and even a dang Roland Microcube :)