How do you build faith in yourself?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by LadOfEastPoland, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

How do you do that?
    I am not self-confident at all, therefore I meet a lot of stress and it is harder to fight for my stuff (this was a metaphore). How do you make yourself feel confident, comfortable and believe in yourself.
    Thanks

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Work hard. Be determined. Maintain focus. Have patience. Envision success. Allow yourself to make mistakes and learn from them. Give no credence to destructive negative criticism. Surround yourself with positive people. Distance yourself from those who discourage you. Love what you do.

Jp2558 likes this.
  3. riff1006

riff1006 Member

Don't judge yourself. Find your strengths, we all have them. Have faith in what you truly believe. Work toward a positive outcome and have faith in your success. I like what Guitarworks suggested also.

4. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

By building trust in yourself

5. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

No idea, but I wish I could figure it out. I think that sort of self-doubt is just inherent. Not that it can't be modified a bit, but no matter what I don't see myself ever being the uber-confident guy.

6. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Fake it till you make it...

7. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

There's truth in this.

However I believe you have to set goals and achieve them - no matter how small.

also a little spirituality helps too - I'm not talking religion.

My 2 cents.......

8. claudel

claudel Member

Having a short memory has helped me with this.

9. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

10. jurfin

jurfin Member

I think it is important to recognize that in the same way that you have negatively wired your brain to feel like you are not "good enough" or whatever you want to call it, you have to put a similar effort into the opposite. We can teach ourselves to hate ourselves and despise our inadequacies and in the same way we can teach ourselves to have some "faith" in our own ability to do the right thing.

I would also like to add that doubting yourself is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it is a great thing to be critical of your self, even harshly so. How else could you move forward or improve your self? I don't know about anyone else, but I would prefer a life of introspection and doubt to a life of blind self-assuredness.

I cannot find the shrugging smiley, but if I could, it would most definitely be going here...

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

You have value and purpose. Rack up a few small successes to confirm that fact and build on it. Start by serving others. The rest, and there is a lot of it, cannot be discussed here.

12. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Confidence is about making small but difficult changes, seeing the small improvements then setting your sights on bigger changes.

13. Randy

Randy Member

Get some wins under your belt - do this by putting yourself in situations where you are challenged, but prepare yourself fully to have a successful outcome.

With effort and practice almost anyone can become much better at anything they try. Once you believe this about yourself, you realize that you really can do anything just about as well as anyone else could be reasonably expected to do. It's simply a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into achieving that specific goal.

Pick something that you think is a weakness of yours and work at it until you've become much better at it. It will give you confidence in your own ability to improve and therefore meet any challenge, with effort.

14. riff1006

riff1006 Member

Believe that you deserve to be happy and deserve good in your life.

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

But remember... most people in insane asylums believe in themselves... even if themself is Elvis.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

The idea of building faith in yourself is pretty broad. I'd want to know what areas specifically you are talking about. If something as concrete as your job performance, set some attainable goals like being on time, keeping a positive attitude, look for ways of doing your job better, etc.

If we are talking about music, put together a practice schedule with measurable goals like learning a particular tune by a set date, using a metronome as a measure, etc.

When you compile enough of the above sorts of accomplishments, you develop self efficacy, the idea you can be successful in what you attempt, because you have lots of experience of being successful in the past. It is something you build upon. I wish you well.

17. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

My job performance and focusing on doing it better.

18. RLD

RLD Member

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Chris Scott likes this.
  19. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

When you hear "I'm not good enough", you really have to listen and find the trigger that started the negative thought. If you have to, write it down. What led up to the thought, was it internal or external? Many times it has to do with relationships with others. Was it work, home, school? Authority or subordinate? Once you learn to hear what is being said you can take steps to eliminate it.

Getting rid of negativity also helps. Eliminate ****** relationships at work and at home even if it involves parents or siblings.

20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

You gotta work hard on something you can take pride in op...when you notice results your confidence goes up