How do YOU characterize a nice clean sound ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by B-SIDE, May 22, 2020.

1. mikebat

mikebat Member

When there is no hint of distortion...it just sounds uni-dimensional, until you add reverb, delay and whatever else.

Like I said, that could be useful, but I prefer to have some harmonics that tiny drips of distortion/tube breakup/overdrive delivers.

AlexMalaska likes this.
  2. B-SIDE

B-SIDE Member

I agree !!!

TL;DR likes this.
  3. Grun

Grun Member

This is a very timely topic for me. I have to agree with the 'no hint of distortion'. I would further add that I really need to hear the character of the guitar.
    Having gone down the modeling rabbit hole recently, and getting really frustrated with what passes for clean, in desperation I pulled out an old solid state rack mount pre amp I had laying around. Well, it was like hearing my guitars for the first time (all over again). It has an extremely musical EQ section and a spring reverb (I know) that can be dialed in to add the most subtle bit of dimension.My Srat was so 'Stratty' I wanted to cry. And the DGT? Wow is all I have to say. Same with my Grosh. One other guitar I won't name I was really looking forward to hearing was disappointing as it really lacked character.
    In the past I might have characterized the sound as 'sterile' or ever harsh, however at this time it has brought joy to just playing. So YMMV , etc.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  4. dblazer

dblazer Supporting Member

A nice clean sound is an electric guitar played through an amp that sounds like an acoustic guitar.

Baxtercat likes this.
  5. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

It's almost impossible to adequately describe. I will say harmonic content and hints of overdrive/push are not the same thing. You can have one without the other.

While I grew up on Fender BF/SF reverb amps that's not my ideal clean sound. I can say my clean sound is a tweed, blonde and/or brown Fender turned up to a healthy level with the guitar volume turned down and picking lightly to avoid pushing the amp.

Also, while I like high end (treble) I don't need a lot of it in my desired clean tone.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  6. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Oriondk, Cousin, gtone and 1 other person like this.
  7. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

Telecaster into a princeton on 5 = clean. Any drive pedal means not clean.

Cousin likes this.
  8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I like a few different types of clean. One type is leaned out for a "chanky" rhythm sound. Can't have too much bottom end for it. I get there by using a Fender guitar, middle position on Tele, or bridge pickup or middle with a Strat, or middle in a Gibson, and a Carl Martin Compressor, which boosts top, dry envelope.

For any clean with single notes, I'll add reverb of some sort, or delay, perhaps vibe or Tremolo, stick with the compressor, add a clean boost, and tolerate just a twinge of dirt if chime comes along with it.

Another sound I really like is the Vox Normal channel clean, which is maybe a little flooded out, chimed up, but not Fender bright at all, not totally clean, but NOT hairy. It just has a great envelope, once again, the Carl Martin Compressor is a huge help.

My Marshall has a Deluxe amp clean channel built into the back panel, thanks to Dave Friedman, Its great, a big sound, but like most Fender black face amps, the bass control is nominally off or close to it. The thing with that amp is that the power section has a bark to it, that comes through, so it's never super "Fendery" other than the plentiful excessive low end.

9. bibletoter

bibletoter Member

Nice! Love the tone and playing. Is that a MIM Monterey?

10. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

The best clean for me is a gained up Tele with the Volume rolled off. The underlying gain adds just a bit of pop.

11. somecafone

somecafone Member

12. twotone

twotone Member

Smooth and warm sounding. Fender single coil, P90, or low output double coil. Turning the tone control down on the guitar helps.

13. stevel

stevel Member

Can't believe the holy grail is not here yet:

14. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

For me it’s a Fender into a Fender

Highway Man, Baxtercat and Funkhauser like this.
  15. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

The sound that comes out of a powered speaker with nothing between it and the guitar is a perfectly clean sound. Anything that colours that sound is distorted and no longer clean.

16. Funkhauser

Funkhauser Member

My favourite type of clean sound is the kind of warm deep strat neck pickup sound that Eric Johnson gets on tunes like Trademark and East Wes.

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Generally speaking, my favorite cleans are not all that clean. Even pristine clean, in guitar sound, has a little something going on. A richness that I suspect means not quite clean.

Rotten likes this.
  18. dblazer

dblazer Supporting Member

Actually I just thought of a good example. The cleanest amp I ever heard was a Victoria 35115-T, a narrow panel tweed Pro clone. The only one I wish I had back.

19. PSLUAN

PSLUAN Supporting Member

Eric Johnson, that’s how I describe a nice clean guitar tone.

MartinCliffe likes this.
  20. Mike J.

Mike J. Member

Is totally clean with bit of chorus an option?

Baxtercat likes this.