How do you curb* a cat's aggression?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by eddie101, Mar 28, 2015.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I love my kitty - about a year old - and he knows it too and yes he's spoiled. At times, however, he tries to become a tough guy :) by being aggressive: attacking my feet/hands and biting for no reason. It didn't hurt when he was a kitten but not anymore. When he attacks me, I yell at him - like I do with my dogs which works 100% of the time - just to discourage his behavior but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing with a cat. Am I doing it all wrong? Yes, I Googled too but found no answers that satisfied me.

We seem to have many cat experts here at TGP. What say you?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Is he fixed? Also, the word is "curb". ;)

3. eddie101

eddie101 Member

fixed and fixed! :)

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Don't ever yell at a cat (or a dog for that matter). What you do in this case is when the cat goes for your feet/hands/whatever and starts biting, quickly move whatever he is going after away from him. The way to stop him from doing it is to play with him more and tire him out. Set aside at least 10-15 minutes in the morning and then again in the evening and spend it playing with him using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Tease...1427574187&sr=1-6&keywords=wand+toys+for+cats

The reason he's being aggressive is that you're not paying enough attention to him. Get one of those wand things and let him attack that. I cast it out like a fishing line and work it around like I'm trout fishing: slow it down, speed it up, drag it across the floor, make it fly around the room then drop it near the cat. Try to make it look like a wounded bird and let him catch every now and then. It worked wonders with my little terror and now she's generally well behaved...

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

6. claudel

claudel Member

It doesn't help with aggression, but trimming the beast's nails will somewhat lessen the damage...

Of course, my Maine Coon will cheerfully bite the snot out of me for trying to trim his nails.

I should have started that when he was a kitten and not huge & strong.

I run mine around with the red dot, but they tend to get bored with it if they see it too often

Whatever you do, don't yell at and definitely don't hit a cat, they'll remember it thru all 9 lives...

7. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I like those suggestions, and I'll get right on it! Thank you, gents! :)

8. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

Yup, pretty much everything he said.

9. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I've owned many cats, and have had a few aggressive ones. we still have one aggresive one, our oldest female. and yelling or getting angry only makes her go into full battle mode. yelling at cats does not work, when you show anger, they don't back down. we use toys and treats to divert her attention, works well. she has learned what the word NO means, and is getting better about it when she decides its time to rip my forearm apart like a chunk of meat. I've lost a few pints of blood to that cat over the years. she was a rescue who had been abused. for a 10 pound animal, she is pound for pound, 6 times tougher than I am, and is fearless about it.

10. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

Spray bottle. Cats hate vatah

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Oh yeah, when you pull whatever part of you he's attacking away, say "NO" in a calm clear voice. As noted above, if you yell or act aggressive back, they will go into full battle mode and won't back down. After a while, he'll learn what "no" means and you can nip any bad behavior in the bud simply by making eye contact and saying "no"...

12. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Despite my first reaction of "Did Jackson Galaxy lose a bet?!", his advice is sound.

If 2HBStrat were here, he'd advise you to get rid of the cat ("Problem solved!") because he's very helpful that way. :rolleyes:

13. klatuu

klatuu Member

Our cat only allows my wife to pet her. She tolerates me and I can pick her up if needed, and she even comes and hangs out with me in the music room. If I pet her she meows and bats at me with her paws. She despises our adult daughter and hisses at her if she picks her up. She will lie in my wife's lap etc. but the rest of us are chopped liver. We have 3 big dogs and she plays with the dogs and will sit on a chair and watch the dogs through the window when they are in the backyard until they come in, like she's keeping an eye on them. People other than my wife? Not so much.
    Maybe she has a complex because we've never named her in the two years we've had her. We just call her "the kitty".

14. Macleod

Macleod Member

This worked for me.
    Our oldest cat did the foot or hand thing a lot when she was young. Especially while we were sleeping.

I went and got some "Bitter Apple" spray and sprayed my feet with it.

After a few times, she never did it again. EVER.

Try it.

15. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Check out the TV series "My Cat From Hell". Very educational.

16. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

My cat does the same-won't touch a scratching post but claws me. I love it, I let her, my hands are usually red with scratches. She owns the house.

17. Roark

Roark Member

Sometimes cats bite when your petting them, but usually it's very lightly, those are love bites and is how they play with other cats.

We've used all three methods when the biting gets too aggressive, pull away and say NO. Also a spray bottle, and application of orange oils, or any other aromatic.

If you are lightly batting them in the face, that will trigger more aggressive behavior so don't do that when your playing.

Some cats are just odd ones, I have one that waits until I go to the bathroom, she then comes in to lick my toes while I'm string on the toilet. Sheesh.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Hey yeah, thanks for remembering....anyway, that's WAY too much effort just to placate an animal that doesn't really "like" people anyway.....throw that sucker outside....

19. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Don't currently have a cat. but have had at least 20 cats in my lifetime.
    My wife and I had 14 cats at one time.
    The fishing pole things works really, really well.
    I had a curtain rod, about 5 feet long and some fiber optic line that I made into a "fishing pole".
    Worked great.

20. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Get him high on catnip (aka cat marijuana)