How do you do sound on a video demo?

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by decay-o-caster, Sep 16, 2008.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

'Splain it to me, oh Video Demo Gurus - whenever I try to record an electric guitar (that is to say, loud-ish) performance on a camcorder, the internal mic distorts like crazy. How do you guys do it so it sounds good? I'm guessing there's a mixer and a real mic involved, but it's not obvious. Actually, you guys often do spoken introductions too. Unless it's an Ultimate Attenuator demo, I'm guessing there'd have to be a mixer to get the levels balanced.

Anyhow, just curious. And have no fear - I promise not to use this information to make any videos. I've ruined enough builders' reputations with my audio productions! :eek:

2. Wilson Effects

Wilson Effects Member

I have a mac book with an external blue snowball mic. I'd say most people have some sort of digital recording setup. The mac makes it nice for editing ect...

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Do you have any issues synching the video with the audio? I do audio recording on a Mac (see my sig), but not clear about video recording/editing that way.

4. Wilson Effects

Wilson Effects Member

No with the Imovie application you can use an external mic source or I would think you could use your project mix. Then you can normalize the video sound to get the right levels. I use my USB snowball condenser and just edit the movie in Imovie afterwards. That way you can do the intros ect.....

5. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

You may have seen my "Trainwreck Amp" videos on youtube.

The early ones were with a camcorder mic, and you can tell. However I then started to record my audio using a separate computer system and a "real mic", and at the same time ran the camcorder. I then combined the video and audio using Sony Vegas, using the camcorder audio simply as a guide to check the sync and then I mute the camcorder audio for the final mix. I use the cheap $100 version of Vegas which has no time code. I just sync it all up by eye/ear.

www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So far, my recording rig is this..

Audix CX212 large diaphragm condensor
    Alesis Firewire board [only used as a board at this time]
    Sony HD video cam with mic input.

The board is sending audio to the sony. I need a nicer mic preamp though and I am starting off small with a Jomeek.

So far, tests are decent, though am still overloading the input at times. Hopefully the Jomeek will smooth things out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGIabDykk4

Emee

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Ah, starting to get it. Thanks y'all!

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Another user who uses a separate mic for the audio stuff and sync the waveforms in Sonar and then delete the camcorder's audio.