How do you Expose Yourself to Music

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rockyrollercat, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

As a kid I first became aware of music on the radio and tv. In the 70's I sat and listened to the radio allot while learning the guitar. Now when I listen to the radio they're still playing the same songs.

I know what I like but I'm sure there's more stuff out there I'd like just as much or maybe more. Is it all on satellite radio now? Do you just scroll around the net on utube ect. How do you find what's out there? It seems like a daunting task with so much going on these days.

RRC

2. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Pandora, XM/Sirius, college radio stations, internet radio,.....

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Well, it starts with me wearing a raincoat...

4. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Beat me to it!

5. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

ever since the taser/pepper spray incident of '09, I do not expose myself to music anymore.:omg:bonk

6. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

When I was a kid I learned guitar watching Much Music (for the benefit of the uneducated allow me to translate... Canadian MTV)

you have 3.5 minutes to stop staring at the boobs and learn the song and yes... back then people played instruments.. I remember hating the Cure and Duran Duran.. well.. compared to Katy Perry .. I will take the Cure.

Recently my life was transformed. I still read GuitarPlayer/Vintage Guitar/Premier Guitar. I still read them in bed before going to bed .. but I have my IPhone..

Someone talking about Alex Skolnick covering Fade to Black or George Benson doing I Wanna Hold Your Hand... ? BAM.. there it is...

EVERYTHING at your fingertips. ... we already see 8 yo Girls playing Yngwie.. (sic)... it will only get better..

I am having more fun playing guitar now than I did slugging it out in the bars when I was 22.

7. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

satellite radio, Youtube, music websites and forums.

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Internet mainly. There are a good number of blogs I trust to bring attention to good bands.

Also, speaking of college radio...

http://kanm.org/

Gotta rep my station.

9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

During the 50s-70s while rock was running its course, popular music was everywhere and such a part of culture that I have never thought of it as something that I had to expose myself to.
    I would always just, now and then, hear something that blew me away and pursue it.
    For example, once I was in a skating rink that had a closed room with a juke box in it.
    I went in that room and heard this ENORMOUS sound coming from the juke box. I had to know who it was.
    Turns out it was some dude named Bob Seger doing Ramblin Gamblin man that I had never heard of.

I don't seek it out, it finds me.

I am still pretty much the same way. There are some things I go out of my way to check out.
    But I won't buy new music, so most of what I get is at used book stores and yard sales , stuff that catches my eye.
    Or I borrow new releases from the library by aging rock era artists and check them out.

10. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

play in the nude

11. AQ808

AQ808 Member

My most essential tool for finding new music for the past 10 years has been Amazon.

Type in an album you like, and from that album's page check out the "Listmania" and "So You'd Like To Learn More About" pages others have made that include that album.

That has been a source of some remarkable finds for me.

The Pitchfork top 100 lists from the 70s, 80s, and 90s were all goldmines, but I really haven't cared for their newer lists.

Other than that, check out college stations because they can really lead you to stuff you've never heard before, are usually commercial free (big plus in my book), and usually have live streams online. I really like this station http://www.wruw.org/

12. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Going to hear live music, Internet (pandora, iTunes, amazon, blogs, forums, Facebook, etc.), library, indie music stores, satellite radio, college radio, and just from friends.

13. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

Mostly the internet. I lookup lists, reviews and then listen to snippets on iTunes and YouTube to see if I like it.

14. NashSG

NashSG Member

Man it is way easier than ever to find stuff and actually hear it. I bought so many records just curious reading about about how they described it sounding, sometimes the results were great and sometimes not so much.

Get into what you want to follow then go to Youtube, it's probably out there and even the whole tune.

15. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

AllMusic, Google, last.fm, TGP, youtube.

16. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Rolling Stone magazine. Seriously.

17. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

The NPR show 'all songs considered' podcast keeps you pretty up to date but has a bit of a hipster slant. still, it's a good, free, and easy way to hear some new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

18. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

He He, if you lived in the UK you would have given up on radio playing anything good even longer ago- you lot don't know you're born [joke]. One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is word-of-mouth. Musician friends and people I bump into at gigs often turn me on to new music. It's the oldest transfer of knowledge known to man.

19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I've been in the states too, and radio there is either lame syndicated music or political extremist talk radio. There is something called NPR that is pretty good, it is a variety of stuff including music.

20. markbosko

markbosko Member

Internet sites and the library.