How do you feel about the infinite learning process?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Flugel, May 10, 2015.

1. Flugel

Flugel Member

I put some serious practice and study in the last years but I learn something new everyday.I like many styles of music and I have a lot of books, thing is that I think I want to learn too many things at the same time, and well, I learn some but forget many.

Yesterday I was listening to some of my old recordings and I didn't remember how to play some of them, it was like listening to somebody else.

I am probably a little burn out, and always have the feeling that I am not good enough.:puh

2. brad347

brad347 Member

try thinking of it this way--

with each thing you learn, you assimilate skills. That's the depth. You acquire what you need to be able to hear and play a thing, from an ear-training and technical standpoint. That's "learning". Not the same thing as "memorization and recitation."

The actual "recital" of a thing is more fleeting than the deeper skills. You move on and learn a new thing, and it deepens the ear-training and technique that you learned on the previous thing, but you may lose the ability to recite older stuff as you forget the superficialities. However, that's not the same thing as losing the skills you assimilated during that learning process.

As we go and continue to learn and grow, we keep flexing those muscles and strengthening them. There's some pruning of material ready for recitation, but if we're constantly learning new things and growing, the underlying skills don't suffer-- they strengthen.

3. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

4. JonR

JonR Member

You've heard the saying "it's the journey, not the destination" ;)

The only destination is death - and we don't want to get there too quick, do we?

5. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

I've had the whole listening to some old thing I did and realize I can't remember how to play it thing happen before, but the couple times it bothered me enough, I sat down and figured out how to play it again, and was pleased to find that I played it better than I used to. That made me smile.
    you're always getting better.

6. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I shudder to think the things that guys like Les Paul forgot. We simply can't remember everything, and it's all a part of development as musicians. It's a process, not an event.