How do you find a tele bridge plate....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Apr 6, 2015.

1. dazco

dazco Member

....thats actually plated right? Seems like they are so hit and miss, mostly miss. I have 4 and one looks normal and the rest look defective. I ordered a fender vintage tele bridge plate off ebay for my newest tele hoping to get a decent looking one and it's just hideous. The front part is chromed like a mirror, and the saddle side of the pickup slot is dull flat gray with no plating. I hate to sound picky about cosmetics details like this, but it does look like garbage and it's on a new MIJ 62 that I love to death. I wanna buy one thats "right" but don't know if i can. Has anyone been thru this and found a online seller that will send you a well plated one if you call and ask?

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

You ordered one "off eBay"
    How about Rutters? Callaham? Wilkinson? CJ Guitar Tooling?
    There are companies that specialize in Aftermarket tele parts.

3. RnB

RnB Member

I've been using these. The seller's got quite a few other Tele plates as well. Basically a Barden w/o the name...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. dazco

dazco Member

Just want a fender brand vintage. I like the sound It gets and i don't want it to change even slightly inevitably which will happen if i don't go with fender. Every time i change to something different regardless of what others tell me i end up kicking myself. Just want a fender vintage plate thats plated normally.

5. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

Mine is solid polished stainless steel from Callaham. Love it.

6. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Is the one you say looks "normal" different in any way otherwise (like says only "FENDER" instead of "Pat. Pend.")? Every vintage bridge I've ever played of the "Pat. Pend" variety has been as you described, chrome from the pickup forward, matte behind the pickup. Pretty sure they're supposed to be that way, that's how they're made...

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Exactly. I bought ten of the Pat Pend ones (for MIM) from Musicians Friend. The plating is fine on all of them.

What I did then is methodically (and repeatedly) drop each of the ten on a hard surface and grouped them depending on how the sang out when they made contact. Honest. I'm treating these things like "tuned" items or part of a musical instrument (such as a cornet or trombone). I put the ones that sang out on the Fenders that needed 'em (converted Nashvilles) and cut the rest of these plates in half and made "GE Smith" style plates of them for Partscasters.

8. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

It's "vintage correct" for the front portion to be shiny chrome, the pickup opening and saddle area to be less polished (dull plating) and the sides to show tooling marks.

Fender intended the bridge plate to be completely covered by the bridge cover.

9. dazco

dazco Member

Ahhhh, ok. Yes, it's the pat pend one. But i have 2 others on teles that have the same thing but are NOT matte gray on the other side, both MIM. So i guess like boris said the mim ones are different. But heres the thing.....the part # for both MIM and USA are the same. I even confirmed that a while back with a fender parts guy. So thats a bit strange.

10. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Rutters makes a nice one - I have his Hot Rod on my RW Tele (and also his vintage 2-barrel bridge on my P-bass).