1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you find a Tone Consultant?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by radiohead625, May 16, 2011.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

I mean when you have a certain sound in your head how do you find the person that can put that together for you. I know Professionals do it, so there has to be some sort of a tone consultant right? I wanna get all the way down to guitar, pedals, and amp.

2. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

This place is full of them.

:idea

Or the Amp Forum at harmony-central, if you are looking for teh br00talz.

:facepalm

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

PM me and we can talk about my services and rates

4. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Seriously.. I talk with my amp tech.. He knows my "stuff" and the way I play, etc.. He has GREAT recommendations and I listen.. We've tried some stuff that didn't work for me but his batting avg is a solid 600.. which would put him in the hall of fame in MLB..

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

lol....i am a "tone consultant" for several touring guitarists, who call me or email me when they need something. i gotta put all this useless knowledge to work somehow!

6. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

==================================
    For the true secret of finding tone, Click-Here
    ==================================

7. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Really? Why don't you just start a thread here asking what tone you want? Free answer without the pricey tone consultation!

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

Most recording engineers have a pretty good handle on this.

9. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

I've done that a crapload of times lol... mostly when i didnt know what i wanted and just ran myself and other around in circles. Now i Know and im looking to get serious... I feel ive posted way to many dumb threads on this site already lol

10. V-Type

V-Type Member

Well Ive found that modelers with many different amp models are a usefull tone search tool for those whom just arent sure which timbre amp they gravitate too.
    The XT live,X3,Fractal and 11R all have a crap load of different textures too try.
    Most folks can only steer you with what they think is a tone for you and may not quite understand the nuances you are looking for.
    Another great tool is spend a couple hours a week trying out different amps in the GC or your local music stores loud room.
    I do this quite often and thanks too this I have literally played on at least a 50 or so different amps well mentioned here and on other boards.
    Its also usefull too have other friends that play and have other equipment for you too try as well.
    Anyone could help you in your tone search imo but its up too you too find what exact specific's you are after.
    I wouldnt pay a dime too a tone consultant seeing how TGP,HC and youtube are just littered with free good and bad examples of every tone conceivable.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

If you have a SPECIFIC tone in mind, you will get an answer..surely more than one.

12. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

Ever have one of these types as a "consultant"

*Adult language*

13. Wagster

Wagster Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yeah, i know.......the guys that i work with are too busy touring to read forums or keep up with the latest in gear.

they hear a certain sound they want, they call me and ask me how to get it, and i get them hooked up with whatever they desire.

i do go on the road and "tech" for one of the players....so it's all good ;)

15. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

I might just have to hit you up lol. I did the whole modeling thing after my finding your tone thread... i went out and bought one and it kinda told me what i already knew and that was my rig is completely wrong lol.

16. billfoma

billfoma Member

I have done this for friends in the past. They all figure I'm a bigger gear nerd than they are (they're right), so they just ask me. I have even been asked to dial in a new amp for someone. Maybe I should start charging them? :bonk

17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

laugh all you want, but i actually am a tone consultant. PM me if you are interested.

19. Roger Axetrample

Roger Axetrample Member

YOU are your own best tone consultant. Here's how to.
    You have the sound in your head right? Get as much gear together as you can. Start A-B-ing 2 pieces of gear at a time.
    For example:
    Play 2 different guitars using the same solo lick or chord part and record both. Listen back. Does guitar A or guitar B get you closer to the sound in your head? Be honest.
    Next, play two amps and record them. Next, 2 overdrive pedals or whatever.
    Don't choose between 3 or more options at a time because ears tire quickly and concentration might diminish.

This might take some time, but you'll make a whole bunch of choices based on listening, which is the key.
    Good luck!
    Roger

20. Roger Axetrample

Roger Axetrample Member

Ha, i know what you mean.
    As soon as people start using their ears they can hopefully dial in their own amps!
    R