How do you find out if a band name is already taken?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rob2001, Feb 15, 2009.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, my recording band has finally put together enough material for a CD release. We've been at this for 3 or 4 years but never decided on a name. We've got a lot of work to do including copywriting and legal issues but I think it's time to decide on a name and make it ours.

How do you find out if a name is already in use?

2. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Just did that and nothing as far as a band came up. Is there a government agency a guy can check with?

4. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

There is no master directory; no government agency. Try searching in Google, MySpace, Facebook.

Also, you can't copyright a name...you can trademark it though. For practical purposes, a band "owns" a name when they have played in public enough to create an identity in the minds of the fans/public ("secondary meaning" that associates the name with a particular group of musicians).

Some bands create a legal entity that owns the name and a band member agreement that determines band members' rights, etc. (a very good practice but not often followed until bands run into "legal issues").

Good luck.

5. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Make sure you put " (name) band" in google.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Hmmm.... I searched the name with "band" and again with "music" and nothing came up. Anyone know how to copywrite or trademark a band name?

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

OK, how's Arrowsmithe sound?? :D

Just kiddin... I just wouldn't want to put a ton of time and money into a name and find out some band in Jersey is already using it. I should look into a trademark or something.... I think.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

OK, kind of a seperate question. How does a guy get a .com or a .net? Something like Godaddy?

9. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Google "Website domains" google knows all!

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

Funny.

For my last band we had a list of about 40 possible names.

We Googled them and EVERY SINGLE ONE was in use by AT LEAST one existing band.

In several cases the name was in use by different bands in different cities and in one case a band was using the name even though another band had had nationally released albums under that name.

Before Google, there were unquestionably bands in different cities with the same name. I say if there's no one in your region using the name, knock yourself out for just gigging. If you're going to release a CD, you probably have to be SURE no one has released anything under that name, and its probably a good idea to honor the other band's use of the name if they came up with it before you.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I checked google up and down, then went to Godaddy and the domain name is available.

(band name.net) I think I should grab it. I know that doesn't mean there might be another band with the name but having the .net domain could be big for marketing on the web??

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

You might contact your State's business license office by phone, tell them you might want to create an LLC (or whatever your state has for sole proprietorship) and request a name search.

I did this and she said nothing even similar after a quick query on her terminal. You could then license the name if you are really paranoid about it being taken.

13. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm not paranoid about it...just want to do it right and protect any interests we may have.

14. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

if you have a label I would think they would find out...I was in The Lab Rats when I lived in California later to find out there was a Lab Rats who were pretty big, so we changed to The LA Brats, which probably was taken too but we didn't care cuz we were punk rawk...I remember seeing a reggae band called 'Screwdriver' (not tobe confused with the Skinhead band of same name)lol not sure if it was intentional but the irony was awesome

15. snoggin

snoggin Member

I just checked my band name and so far so good . I have the go daddy domain name too.. What does that say if no one else want s the name .. LOL

16. guitgator

guitgator Member