How do you fuzz??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Franklin, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use a Analongman Sunlion. It's a Sunface (The Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface clone) and a Beano Boost (The Dallas Rangemaster Treble Boost clone) in one.

[​IMG]

Last night I was playing it almost exclusively. I usually use OD/Dist/Boost, especially with these guys. So last night I decide, since we're only jamming as a three piece I'll see how far I can take take it without using an OD or dist pedal.

It went far! Using a Strat into a cranked (the amp at the point of break-up volume at 5-6) Fender 65' DRRI:

I used the volume knob to go from almost clean to OD to all out fuzz. With the fuzz knob on the pedal all the way, vol at around 3pm, vol knob on the guitar somewhere right below the middle I was able to use it for lead and rythmn -it was awesome!!! When I needed a beefed up solo I used the Beano at the same time. At first I was only using the Beano mostly for boosting to solo -then I had them both on and then using the vol knob they cleaned up to a very nice overdrive! For rythmn, it went from gritty and overdriven to a spankin' fuzzed out crunch! It could not have been better!

The only time it didn't cut it is when we got over the top loud and I turned the vol knob up all the way. At that point, the Fuzz is at the highest gain point and it started to get buried in the mix. I could not play and lead riffs, it just got lost. Rythmn was too low, but audible. What I did then was either kick on my SD1 and clicked off the Fuzz (keeping the Beano on) or just click off the fuzz. Then I was able to cut through well. I used some delay and wah, nothing to crazy. The P.O.G. was okay with it, nothing special.

I don't like to play that loud usually. But I would like to see how mic'ing that kind of set up would fare on a larger stage.

How do you use your fuzz?

How do you boost it for soloing?

What other pedals do you use it/them with?

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

Maybe it's just me being excited about fuzz. I've never been a fuzz fan, until now. It was always because I could not get it to work for me.

Someone else must want to share their fuzz experience.......

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I fuzz with a skreddy mayo, zvex ff, vintage vox tonebender, big muff, and have the skreddy ? lady on the way with a screwdriver...I loveeee fuzz. I really want a sun lion, but out of production...just my luck. Now if I want one I gotta pay triple what its worth...

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I used to use a Sunface (gain up into a clean amp, or gain down/volume up into a dirty amp). The best at what it does.

I had something called a J. Everman Fuzzdrive G2. Lower gain but huge volume. It killed going into a dirty amp.

Now I use a Lovepedal germanium Dragon. Really versatile and covers a lot of fuzz and fuzzy OD ground.

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

Not true! They are back in production! :dude

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

...i dont believe you...show me

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

That's pretty sad that I would have to post a link to his website when I was trying to help you.....

Is this what you mean by "show you"?

Go to the website and you'll find from the man himself:

"We stopped making these for the first half of 2006 but made a batch in June and are making another batch in July."

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

My favorite fuzz is the HomeBrew Electronics UFO (Ultimate Fuzz Octave).

And yes, I just saw on Analog Man's web site yesterday that they started making Sun Lions again back in June.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

oh ****...Im trying to fight not buying one. I just said Im very happy with my current setup. Compare to the skreddy mayo...

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

why do you say hed "love" to talk to me???...lol. so what? weve got a common interest, lol. Whys it so pricey? I mean I wouldnt mind paying. Just wondering.

12. Franklin

Franklin Member

He would love to talk to your wallet, that's for sure!

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

welcome to the club. :JAM

14. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

To turn my guitar sound into a huge pile of distorted, semi-atonal trash.

15. Matt F

Matt F Member

Lovepedal White Dragon :AOK!

Kinda like a Sunlion with a blend between the rangemaster and the fuzzface instead of independent sides of the pedal. I love the fuzzy joy it brings me... :)

Wonder who would win in a fight the White Dragon or the SunLion? :rotflmao

16. Franklin

Franklin Member

I've had the Sunlion for a while with mild GAS for the White Dragon. I'm thinking you just made it a little worse Matt.....

:messedup

17. Matt F

Matt F Member

Sorry Franklin... :)

[​IMG]

Look at the White Dragon.. You can not resist its powers! :roll

But honestly there are so many variations of tone in that box. Getting a great sound is not hard to dial in. Not that this is any better than a Sunlion (I had a NKT 275 Sunface & Beanoboost before this). It's just different and is in love with my Strat. If you have $250 to spend on some fuzzy OD mojo then take a good look at the White Dragon. I love mine.

Head to www.lovepedal.com . You won't be sorry. :) (Don't think sean needs a sales pitch) :D

Matt

18. thebot

thebot Member

Ha, and while you're there do yourself a favour and check out the Karl as well - different flavour but no less excellent. I love fuzz but I hadn't really found 'my' fuzz until I got a Karl, just hits me where it counts as far as fuzz is concerned.

I am also in love with a tone factor huckleberry and a zvex fuzz factory.

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I only NEED one fuzz. Retroman Sybil.

It can do Silicon and Germanium sounds as well as big muffish type sounds on certain special settings.

20. thebot

thebot Member

I probably only NEED one fuzz as well - reckon I could get by with the Karl - but I like the Huckleberry for rhythm duties as well and the fuzz factory is just so much fun. My wife is often to be found dispairing as I sit there with a huge grin on my face making stupid noises and looking proud about it!

I love fuzz, I spent ages looking for the distorted sound I was after without realising it was fuzz I was craving. I mostly play clean (or clean-ish) and rhythm so I think if I'm playing anything approaching a lead I want it to sound ballsy - and distortion just isn't enough.