• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How do you get this type of throaty overdriven tone?

illini

I have always dug this type of guitar tone, but getting it continues to elude me. Any tips on what makes this tone?

batfish

looks like a big Marshall half stack, an AC30, a '72 tele deluxe and a Les Paul and a lot of volume

So, I'd say humbuckers into a British voiced amp will get you in the ballpark.

Richard Guy

It's a dirty/clean to my ears. Other post point to 'plexi' tone. I agree. There are two pedals that can get you there in a hurry if you don't have a 'plexi' type amp. They are; EHX torsion or a DLS MK III.

illini

That's the rub.
I run a Gibson with PAF's into a 50 watt Marshall into a 212 or 412 cab loaded with Greenbacks or V 30's. And the tone I get is always tighter and more refined than this slightly hollow about to explode tone.

jpage

That's the rub.
I run a Gibson with PAF's into a 50 watt Marshall into a 212 or 412 cab loaded with Greenbacks or V 30's. And the tone I get is always tighter and more refined than this slightly hollow about to explode tone.
Can we hear your current tone?

buddastrat

Kind've raw, simple tone. I like that. JCM 800 and tuck the mids in for something like in the beginning. Could add an OD for some sustain/fat on solos.

illini

Can we hear your current tone?
I will attempt to put something to "tape" in a couple of days. Any clips I currently have of me/Marshall/LP are with the gain set lower and using a boost/overdrive. Sounds very good, but not the type of tone we are discussing in the clip.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, that tone has more "grit" to it than what just a Marshall will provide. Almost sounds like a hollowbody?

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
Kind of sounds like a jtm with the sag splatter wide open sound, to me. I'm probably deaf though.

Last edited:

jpage

I will attempt to put something to "tape" in a couple of days. Any clips I currently have of me/Marshall/LP are with the gain set lower and using a boost/overdrive. Sounds very good, but not the type of tone we are discussing in the clip.
I like the tone in the clip but it does sound pretty standard LP/Marshall...reminds me a lot of Malcolm Young. That cranked Marshall KERRANG just might be the toughest thing to replicate at reasonable volumes.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
That's Tyler Burkum for you. Got his start in Audio Adrenaline. Check out his guitar work with the band Leagues. Great player, killer tone.

illini

I like the tone in the clip but it does sound pretty standard LP/Marshall...reminds me a lot of Malcolm Young. That cranked Marshall KERRANG just might be the toughest thing to replicate at reasonable volumes.
Seems like that tone should be pretty easy to get, and yet it has so far eluded me. I will try some clips with the Master turned way up and see what we get. I used to run the Marshall with an Ultimate Attenuator and the Master close to noon, and I never got this type of tone.

jpage

Well it looks like you've got a Naylor SC38 so it isn't all bad! I miss the one I stupidly sold (may have been to you for all I know lol). If you are trying with your JTM45 I can see where you might have some trouble--those can be a little softer and darker than what I'm hearing in the vid. A mid 70s JMP might make it easier

illini

Naylor I bought new in 98. I am wanting to coax the 'throaty' tone out of the 2204. I should add that I am very happy with my amps. Very satisfying variety of tones to be had except for this one.o_O I wonder if Tyler used a Les Paul Deluxe with mini buckers for this song? Maybe my PAF's are still putting out too much.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I have always dug this type of guitar tone, but getting it continues to elude me. Any tips on what makes this tone?
There is definitely some studio color added to that tone. I wonder if it was even a real mic'ed up amp. Sounds more like a Mesa than a Marshall to my ears.

jpage

Try dialing in your 2204 with a bit of grind and add an OCD or Small Fry (there are prob 1000 pedals like this but these I've used) in front with the gain low and the tone high. Or buy another old Marshall!

Trending Topics